Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
We have an "orifice" (calibrated size hole) within the valve cover, below the hose coming in on the back right as your facing the engine looking back from the front. They frequently clog with sludge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have an "orifice" (calibrated size hole) within the valve cover, below the hose coming in on the back right as your facing the engine looking back from the front. They frequently clog with sludge.
How did you find the sludge? Do you have excessive moisture in the engine? My 2.9 engine is having a bad water problem in the engine and the PCV holes seem clear? So I'm curious about your trucks condition.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had heavy oil consumption. The first thing I did was pull the valve cover to clean up the PCV system, and thats when I found I had quite the sludge problem. Moisture problems are usually from not driving the truck long enough to fully warm it up, and if you have a stuck open thermostat, that can cause the engine to never really "dry out" as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had heavy oil consumption. The first thing I did was pull the valve cover to clean up the PCV system, and thats when I found I had quite the sludge problem. Moisture problems are usually from not driving the truck long enough to fully warm it up, and if you have a stuck open thermostat, that can cause the engine to never really "dry out" as well.
Hi Kenzen, thanks for the feedback. I have been doing what you recommended and the thermo is newer, just a few 1,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and filter twice in 2,000 miles, had Blackstone labs check the oil for antifreeze which came up negative. I had a thread going about this problem a few weeks ago and many gave good input as you have but this old gal just loves to make water!! So, I just thought that I would run the info by you to see if you had the same issue. This truck runs SO good with 200k miles on it! Next try is to drop the oil pan and clean it out. Thanks again for your time and many happy Colorado miles to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts