Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My i5 finally went out and it will cost mort to replace then doing an actual LS swap so I was wondering if anyone was out here in phoenix,az that could help me out of tell me where to start?

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Lots of places to start depending on what year LS you use

You'll need the trans from the donor vehicle or you'll have to swap out the bell housing and input shaft on your trans and maybe the pump(auto only). If you have a 5 sp manual trans then you'll need the LS adaptor. If your truck is 4wd it can get more complicated

Motor mounts and possibly 2009-2012 factory V8 or custom power steering and AC lines

Easiest would be to find LH8 or LH9 5.3L out of a factory v8 2009-2012 Colorado/canyon or one from a 2008-2010 H3 alpha.

Next easiest would be any Gen 4 LS... it would work with the 2011 factory pcm

Look up Current Performance wiring... they have a lot of LS swap parts for the 2004-2012 Colorado/canyon and can give you advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of places to start depending on what year LS you use

You'll need the trans from the donor vehicle or you'll have to swap out the bell housing and input shaft on your trans and maybe the pump(auto only). If you have a 5 sp manual trans then you'll need the LS adaptor. If your truck is 4wd it can get more complicated

Motor mounts and possibly 2009-2012 factory V8 or custom power steering and AC lines

Easiest would be to find LH8 or LH9 5.3L out of a factory v8 2009-2012 Colorado/canyon or one from a 2008-2010 H3 alpha.

Next easiest would be any Gen 4 LS... it would work with the 2011 factory pcm

Look up Current Performance wiring... they have a lot of LS swap parts for the 2004-2012 Colorado/canyon and can give you advice
Thanks what vehicles have the gen 4 ls and are you saying that I would just need the engine and tranny

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Pretty much all 2007-2014 GM v8s are Gen 4, some 2006 and 2005s as well

You would need engine for sure, trans can get complicated some applications may have the 6 sp 6l80e some may have the 4l80e, some may have the 4l60e, getting the 6 and the larger 4l80 to fit may be difficult... not impossible as a few have fit the 4l80 and 6l80 with some modifications.
You would need the engine harness (which may have to be modified) and trans harness (if you are using another trans) which may also have to be modified. Plus youll.need the pcm reprogrammed to work with the V8
I've never done the swap in these trucks so my knowledge is limited.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts