Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this truck that I bought brand new, still only has just over 6000 miles on it. I've been thinking about a lift kit and from what I've read here the 4 inch Rancho kit is the way to go.
Truck saw a dirt road once, I baby it and have only used it to tow my bassboat.
Just thought it would look even better lifted but want a kit that will not compromise it's stock dependability.
Is this the kit to go with or would you guys recommend I just leave it stock, considering that I haven't done any off roading with it yet.
Appreciate any input.

Scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mo, that white one picture number 2 looks just like mine. Thanks for posting. I just lucked up finding this truck. Dealership is 1/2 mile from where I live and I went up there one Sunday morning just to walk around and kill time and there it sat, couldn't believe my eyes.
That Rancho kit looks like the the most engineered for this truck so that's the way I'm leaning if I'm going to lift it. If I do I'll have it installed, don't want a hack job on my truck.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Kit will require new wheels with the proper backspace or wheel spacers and longer shocks. You may have to add a leaf to the rear leaf packs to get it to sit level.
If you just use it for towing I would leave it stock but it's your truck if you like the lifted look then lift it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do like or would like a more lifted look, might start doing some off roading too. Didn't count on needing new wheels though. Guess lifting it brings the wheels closer to the inside? New wheels and bigger tires were planned for later, but if I need to do all this at once she may just stay stock. Truck's window sticker says it came with high lift kit which what I can find out is longer shocks, makes sense though that I will need longer shocks with the lift.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
The lift spindles that come with the kit require wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace... maybe less depending on how wide of a tire you use. This is so the wheel doesn't rub the spindle and the tire won't rub the upper ball joint. Its the same for all sub frame lift kits... rancho, skyjacker, tuff country, cst.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock wheels are I think the Sierra wheels, chrome and look good and tires are 265/70r/17 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my research today I ran across the 3" Suspension Maxx MaxxCam torsion bar lift which is allot cheaper than the Rancho kit. Thought this may be too good to be true so kept reading and looks like from what I gather any kind of torsion bar cranking causes extra wear on ball joints. Would this also be a concern with the Rancho kit?
Guess I'm wondering what is the advantage and extra money of the Rancho kit going to achieve?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Not a concern with the rancho or any other sub frame. Sub frame lifts keep all angles at or near stock so the ride is way better and much less wear and tear on ball joints, tie rods, cv joints (4x4 only). Torsion bar lifts change the control arm angles drawing the tires/wheels inward which pushes the frame upward thus lifting it. Results in a rough front suspension and poor angles/geometry in the front suspension

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a concern with the rancho or any other sub frame. Sub frame lifts keep all angles at or near stock so the ride is way better and much less wear and tear on ball joints, tie rods, cv joints (4x4 only). Torsion bar lifts change the control arm angles drawing the tires/wheels inward which pushes the frame upward thus lifting it. Results in a rough front suspension and poor angles/geometry in the front suspension
Beginning to understand now. Looks like this kit is the one for my truck RS6569B part and it comes with the relocation bracket and shackle for the rear too. I'm planning on staying with the stock 17" rims and 265/70/17 tires for now, will I need spacers for the rims? Can I use the factory shocks also?
Just trying to build up my parts list, apologize for all the d-azz questions!

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
You will need longer shocks front and rear. You will need wheel spacers in the front only but if you want the width of the wheels to look even in the rear then you need spacers for the rear wheels too.

JVal is using stock 2009+ z71 wheels with the rancho kit so you can ask him what size spacers to use... http://www.355nation.net/forum/members/666-jval.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Beginning to understand now. Looks like this kit is the one for my truck RS6569B part and it comes with the relocation bracket and shackle for the rear too. I'm planning on staying with the stock 17" rims and 265/70/17 tires for now, will I need spacers for the rims? Can I use the factory shocks also?

Just trying to build up my parts list, apologize for all the d-azz questions!

When you order the kit, order Rancho Rs5300 shocks for the front and rs5190 for the rear. This will give you extra wiggle room for add a leafs or cranking the torsion bars. This is the setup I have in my 2011 z71.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Rancho RS5610 is what you want for the front with a 4 inch lift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RS5610 front and back?
And I heard back from JVal, he said he wasn't sure but thinks he's running 1.25" wheel spacers.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Either size spacer will work. Ask @JVal if he had to shorten the lug nuts to use the 1.25". If he didn't then I would use that size.

RS5610 is the part number for the front shocks.
For the rear shocks you can use RS5301 or RS999301 if you just using the shackles that come with the kit. If you going to use add a leafs(not included with the kit but sold seperately ) along with the shackles then use RS5325 or RS5190 or RS999190. These are rancho shock numbers. I don't know part numbers for other manufacturers

Note the RS999xxx series shocks are better but more expensive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to have this kit installed, truck is spotless brand new clean so installer should be happy. What might be a 'ball park' figure on cost of install?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts