Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving all the buzz about the 2015 355's. But, GM's killing it by not offering a V-8. No ZQ-8s? OK the 5.3L is a lot of CI, but why not a 4.8L? Every review about the 355 says "average truck overall. But. does offer a V8". So they finally make a great truck, & them dump the V8???

There's rumors of a high performance off-road edition. GM wants it to rival the 6.2L 411 HP Raptor! How's that going to happen w/o a V8! If they want to top the Raptor, put a 6.2L in the 355. It will probably never be produced, but if GM did it'd be some neutered V6, with 30 MPG.

We hear about a Diesel. But, it's not available until 2016. There's a manual transmissions available, but it isn't available on the Diesel or Z71s.

Bring back the V8 option:th_s52::th_s52::th_s52:!

T

·
0 Posts
V8 all the way. And gm, please make us a vehicle factory équipped to compete the Craptor

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would say since they made em a little bigger then adding a V8 would be rendered pointless since a Silverado is only a couple inches bigger. If you wanna 8 get your ass a Silverado. I see it the same way honestly. I mean the V6 is still pushin 300hp so you would only want an 8 for the sound right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NorCal for the sound, torque & towing. I don't know what you mean by "I would say since they made em a little bigger then adding a V8 would be rendered pointless since a Silverado is only a couple inches bigger".

·
Registered
220 Posts
V8 won't happen because of CAFE. At least not in the short term. GM even chose the 3.6 over the truck-based 4.3 because of (supposedly) better fuel economy. Maybe a future ZR2 model (Raptor competitor) will get one, maybe not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here IanDV.

·
Administrator
6,650 Posts
NorCal for the sound, torque & towing. I don't know what you mean by "I would say since they made em a little bigger then adding a V8 would be rendered pointless since a Silverado is only a couple inches bigger".
The smallest 2nd gen Colorado will be 208" in length with a curb weight just under 4000 lbs. Compare that to the smallest current Silverado which is actually 205" with a curb weight just under 4400 lbs with the 4.3L V6.

Even if you get the bigger options, the crew cab long bed colorado has a length of 224" at a weight just under 4300 and which the double cab (ext cab) standard bed Silverado is 230" while just under 4900.

Also take a look in comparison:

Colorado 3.6L: 305 HP 270 TQ
Silverado 4.3L: 285 HP 305 TQ

So thats why the comment was made that if you want the V8, then just got get yourself a Silverado which as you can see, really isn't that much bigger.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ironic how when you quote me you leave out a pretty pertinent factor. I guess your brain shuts off after you hear up to the part you didn't like huh.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The 3.6l puts out comparable power with better mileage in a lighter package vs the 5.3l. Sounds like a win win to me.

There's rumors of a high performance off-road edition. GM wants it to rival the 6.2L 411 HP Raptor! How's that going to happen w/o a V8! If they want to top the Raptor, put a 6.2L in the 355.
They could put in the twin turbo'd version of 3.6l from the cts vsport caddy. 420hp in a GM mini-raptor? I think people would buy that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Personally, I could care less for fuel economy. I just want a bigger gas tank. The v8 option allows for better sound and with it modded up, you have more power options. I'll keep my truck over the new ones. Molded crappy bumper? No way. We have steel bumpers and I replaced mine with an iron bull bumper.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm loving all the buzz about the 2015 355's. But, GM's killing it by not offering a V-8. No ZQ-8s? OK the 5.3L is a lot of CI, but why not a 4.8L? Every review about the 355 says "average truck overall. But. does offer a V8". So they finally make a great truck, & them dump the V8???

There's rumors of a high performance off-road edition. GM wants it to rival the 6.2L 411 HP Raptor! How's that going to happen w/o a V8! If they want to top the Raptor, put a 6.2L in the 355. It will probably never be produced, but if GM did it'd be some neutered V6, with 30 MPG.

We hear about a Diesel. But, it's not available until 2016. There's a manual transmissions available, but it isn't available on the Diesel or Z71s.

Bring back the V8 option:th_s52::th_s52::th_s52:!
Ford has dropped the 6.2L from the 2015 F-150 lineup. The only V8 they will offer is the 5.0L. They are even dropping in a 2.7L Ecoboost in the 2015s. Big engines are on their way out, small displacement, forced induction engines are taking over.

I expect you would see a turbo V6 in the Colorado before a V8.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
The 3.6l puts out comparable power with better mileage in a lighter package vs the 5.3l. Sounds like a win win to me.
Until you look at the lbft trq.... 5.3 has 320lbft trq. that is a difference of 50lbft with the quoted 270lbft on the 3.6. If they went to 3.6 twin turbo, then that would be unique and def. fast!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
TT V6, Caddy only or in the new 2016 Buick GN, never going to happen in a 355,
not even a single turbo. Silverado 6.2 is the way to go.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
If I get a new 355, the 3.6 will be perfectly fine with me.......has more HP then the 5.3 :shrug:

Plus, since the 3.6 DI motor is in so many other applications the aftermarket support is far better then what it was when the 355 came out in 2004.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts