Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

181 - 200 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Re: 2015 Colorado from LA Auto Show

There is something I still can´t understand. Why da hell they are still throwing those frames so low! Don´t they get the message about a good height clearance when thousands of people lift their trucks!

Take a look of how low the frame runs below the cab. I know they are trying to make the cab roomier but I think other brands can achieve more space without making the truck look like if it were using a body lift from factory.

And what is wrong with the spare tire??? looks just out of place, same problem I saw in the trail blazer. In the previous 355 the spare tire was practically hiden under the truck bed, even in the Z71 model.

I mean I like the truck but why GM is triping over the same rock again??

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts

The old 4.3 was nowhere close to being a pig.
Oh really??? What kind of awesome gas mileage did yours get???

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
489 Posts

And what is wrong with the spare tire??? looks just out of place, same problem I saw in the trail blazer. In the previous 355 the spare tire was practically hiden under the truck bed, even in the Z71 model.

I mean I like the truck but why GM is triping over the same rock again??
Are they using the spare tire as a diff guard? :shrug:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: new colorado

Looks like GM's interpretation of a Toyota... time will tell

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

That has more to do with the gears in the 4.3 configuration than the engine itself.

The Colorado will likely have a 3.73 gear in its max towing configuration. The 4.3 Silverado with the 6400 lb. tow rating has a 3.23 gear.
If gears msttered thst much, why does my 2005 crew Z71 have the same tow rating with 3.42 gears as it did with 4.10 gears? Those numbers straight from my owners manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
491 Posts
Re: Here's a full pic of the new Colorado

My amateur photoshop skills.... Looks pretty cool lifted/leveled.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts

If gears msttered thst much, why does my 2005 crew Z71 have the same tow rating with 3.42 gears as it did with 4.10 gears? Those numbers straight from my owners manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Because at that point you're up against the frame or brake limitations. These newer trucks come with a gear set and engine combination that can maximize MPGs. I can't think of any vehicle that in a given configuration would have the highest MPG rating AND the highest tow rating. That's like asking a Prius to do 12 second 1/4 mile runs and still get 50+ MPGs.

Tow ratings are a complex formula, not just engine and gears. If that were the case, the 5.3 in the Colorado should have been rated at 10K pounds since the Silverado was over that. Eventually you reach a point where better gears and better engine doesn't matter as the truck is just too small to handle (and stop) the load.

181 - 200 of 295 Posts