Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: Lot's of photos!

I've spent the last month attending various GM truck events where there have been new Colorado's and Canyons on display (in addition to the full size trucks) so I've grabbed some miscellaneous photos for you. They are in no particular order and should be self explanatory. Most, if not all, of these trucks are pre-production models.

I got a chance to sit in and look them over pretty thoroughly. Both the six cylinder and four cylinder models were on display over the course of the events. The interior fit and finish is super nice and are miles ahead of the interior in my 2007 base truck with all the plastic. This truck really seems to be the perfect size for me - not as big as the full size but significantly larger than the first gen Colly/Canyon.

The six cylinder is pretty compact and sits back in the engine bay. About 1/3 of the plastic engine cover hangs over the front of the engine and covers a big gap between the radiator and the block. Looks like there is a lot of room to work on them. The four cylinder seems to fill the engine bay more than the six as it's most likely longer the the six.

In one crew cab I adjusted the driver's seat so that all 6' of me was comfortable behind the wheel and then I jumped into the back seat and grabbed a photo of where my knees were. You probably wouldn't want to do a 1,000 mile trip like that but a several hour trip or around town runs are very doable.

I also noticed that the inner fender liners aren't smooth plastic like the first gen models but rather have a flocking material on them - probably to reduce road and tire noise. Time will tell whether or not that feature makes it to production.

The fuel filler door is pretty wide and when you pop it open there is a traditional fuel cap plus a rubber plug where I'm assuming the DEF fill will be located on the 2.8 DuraMax diesel models.

So here you go. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them for you.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I wonder if those brake calipers would work on our current trucks :naughty:

I see they offer front and rear seat heaters from looking at the one pic

·
Registered
220 Posts
This thread delivers. Thanks for posting these pics. I know we're all about a month away from seeing one live-in-person, but I need things like this to keep me going.

Still hoping that diesel shows up early next fall (late summer).

I have (2) questions though.
1. With the V6, how much of the engine is sitting under the windshield? Basically, how hard is it to get to all of the plugs/wires on this thing?
2. Is the interior on the All-Terrain similar to the Z71, as in cloth + leather/vinyl? It looks that way in the pics, which would be great, but want to clarify.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
I know i'm going to have to give up my man card after this question. Did you see a garage button. We have that on our Acadia and it is sweet not to have that ugly thing hanging from the visor.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see they offer front and rear seat heaters from looking at the one pic
I was looking at those switches and it appears that there are two for each front seat. Based on the switch icon, one switch is used to heat the seat bottom cushion and backrest and the other is for the backrest only. It's a pretty cool idea but another thing that we'll have to see if it makes it to production or not.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This thread delivers. Thanks for posting these pics. I know we're all about a month away from seeing one live-in-person, but I need things like this to keep me going.

Still hoping that diesel shows up early next fall (late summer).

I have (2) questions though.
1. With the V6, how much of the engine is sitting under the windshield? Basically, how hard is it to get to all of the plugs/wires on this thing?
2. Is the interior on the All-Terrain similar to the Z71, as in cloth + leather/vinyl? It looks that way in the pics, which would be great, but want to clarify.
The V6 seems to sit wayyyy back there and from what I could see things like the spark plugs are easily accessible from the side through the wheel wells or possibly from underneath. Unless you have a really long reach or a stool to stand on I'm not sure the rear most plugs are reachable from the side.

The All Terrain has a freaking great interior! It did have cloth or perhaps some sort of nylon inserts and leather (or maybe vinyl in portions) on the rest. I liked that combination a lot and the fronts were very comfortable. All the trucks that I've seen also had a fold down center armrest in the center on the rear seats.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know i'm going to have to give up my man card after this question. Did you see a garage button. We have that on our Acadia and it is sweet not to have that ugly thing hanging from the visor.
I don't remember. I'll be at another event in the Chicago area next week and I'll take a look and see if there is one, assuming there is a Colorado/Canyon on the show floor.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, lots of USB ports, too. One USB in the lower front of the center console directly above an Aux Input jack, one under the lid of the center console and two at the rear of the center console for rear seat passengers. There may be others but those are the ones I remember seeing.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts

I was able to talk to a gentleman this weekend who was driving one he owned. GM engineer of course, haha. He was driving a Z71 longbed an said he has been running between Metro Detroit and Cleveland,OH running about 80 mph and he was getting 26 mpg. The truck looked awesome up close, it was black on black.

Sam

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks for posting these pictures!

Any idea how wide those GMC all terrain wheels are? I see they only have 255 wide tread...

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

WTF is this?
That looks really odd in that photo. I've been at a number of GM events this year where there have been Colorado's and/or Canyon's present but I've never noticed that radical body line that is part of the flare. But then again I've never seen the trucks in white, either. That area you circled doesn't really stand out on the red, green and silver trucks I've seen.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for posting these pictures!

Any idea how wide those GMC all terrain wheels are? I see they only have 255 wide tread...
I haven't seen any specs on the wheels but I always have a tape measure with me so I'll try to remember to put a tape to the wheels in Chicago. It won't be really precise but I can probably get pretty close. My guess is that they're probably 7.5" max.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I still can't get over how massive the front ends are, but will reserve final judgement until I see one in person.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still can't get over how massive the front ends are, but will reserve final judgement until I see one in person.
You know, the front ends on the new trucks do appear much larger than those on the first gen Colly/Canyon. However, they don't appear to be massively large like the new Silverado/Sierra's are to me. I think you'll like the size once you do get a chance to see one in person.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This thread is full of win. I'm gonna have to work my ass off to get me one.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Like a staff member at the Big House in Ann Arbor told my dad because he complained he couldnt sit in his seat, "its not our fault sir its the american peoples fault, they're WIDER!"

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've heard gm is starting up a third shift because they already have 30k preordered trucks so they need to increase production that's cool

·
Registered
220 Posts
That system is called HomeLink, and I'm pretty sure it is at least an option on these trucks. I'm with you though. My Saab has it and I love it. My Camaro holds (1) garage remote and my wife's Tiguan has the other, so having HomeLink in the 3rd vehicle is critical.
The V6 seems to sit wayyyy back there and from what I could see things like the spark plugs are easily accessible from the side through the wheel wells or possibly from underneath. Unless you have a really long reach or a stool to stand on I'm not sure the rear most plugs are reachable from the side.

The All Terrain has a freaking great interior! It did have cloth or perhaps some sort of nylon inserts and leather (or maybe vinyl in portions) on the rest. I liked that combination a lot and the fronts were very comfortable. All the trucks that I've seen also had a fold down center armrest in the center on the rear seats.
That cloth + vinyl/leather seat setup is perfect for me. Sounds like I'm going All Terrain or Z71 for sure. That seat style reminds me of my '77 Silverado, and I freakin' loved that thing!
I was able to talk to a gentleman this weekend who was driving one he owned. GM engineer of course, haha. He was driving a Z71 longbed an said he has been running between Metro Detroit and Cleveland,OH running about 80 mph and he was getting 26 mpg. The truck looked awesome up close, it was black on black.

Sam
Any chance that was a 4x4...? Black on black Z71 4x4 CCSB is my current favorite build so far. If I can get 26 highway in that configuration (doing about 70-72 MPH), I'll be VERY tempted to take it over a diesel...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts