Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it's pretty similar to our trucks. I don't like the looks of the front driveshaft or the aluminum front diff with the long side of the offset being cast aluminum as well. Coil spring 4wd is a big plus though over the torsion bars we have, and much easier to lift. Looks like they put the body mount out of the way of larger tires on it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lO1LRB4dc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so glad to see there won't be rear drums. I had a hell of a time replacing mine. I already know that I'm saving up my money while on deployment to buy the 2016 Diesel Canyon! (I will be GMC until I die. Sorry Bowties)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I want to see where the DEF tank goes on the short bed configuration. Hopefully not hanging below the frame rail like they do on the HD trucks...

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
4 wheels disc = win

The 3.6 screams.......add long tubes and dual exhuast

·
Registered
491 Posts
I want to see where the DEF tank goes on the short bed configuration. Hopefully not hanging below the frame rail like they do on the HD trucks...
Yeah I hope GM found a better place for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 3.6 screams.......add long tubes........
Don't think you can.
Aren't the exhaust manifolds cast as part of the heads now?

I think there's just one square flange in the head/exhaust manifold casting where the exhaust comes out.

·
Administrator
6,650 Posts
Don't think you can.

I think there's just one square flange in the head/exhaust manifold casting where the exhaust comes out.
this is correct. the new LFX engines have the manifolds and heads all as one piece. The 6 cylinder camaro guys got royally screwed on that as well.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
did u see the small tank in front of the gas tank think thats it

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
this is correct. the new LFX engines have the manifolds and heads all as one piece. The 6 cylinder camaro guys got royally screwed on that as well.
think it can be ported and polished or could another head be put on

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Don't think you can.

Good point guys! I was not sure if the new 355 was getting the same exact camaro motor.

Well dual exhaust will still help it breathe better then the y-pipe and single exhuast

·
Registered
220 Posts
did u see the small tank in front of the gas tank think thats it
I guess it could be, but that was the bottom of the 3.6 model, so who knows what that was. There was a space next to the fuel tank on the same frame rail where a DEF tank could be added, but this was also the longbed model, so I'm not sure that space will still be there on the CCSB models...

Time will tell. I'm sure we'll learn more about this diesel configuration before the end of the year.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't think you can.

Actually it's really not a bad thing. A block of aluminum and a day at a machine shop and you could have two turbo adapters, cut off the stock exhaust at the outlet of the turbo once bolted up, weld on a v-band flange, and then you just have fuel and intake piping/intercooler routing. They have boosted models of certain vehicles coming out that will be twin turbo v6's so I assume it will be based off this engine with maybe a few things swapped like heads, pistons, and rods.

You also would have to see flow bench results between the two. I honestly think they may have made a smoother transition than most collectors can provide to that single outlet and it looks plenty big enough to flow what that motor will require. There could also be a million other things they accomplished like scavenging that could be well above what most manifolds and headers can accomplish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
^^X2 That's what I was thinking too

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I just got off a one month GM tour where Colorado's and/or Canyon's were available at every stop. The fuel filler door is wide on these trucks and when I popped it open on the four cylinder and six cylinder pre-production models we had there was the gas filler cap and a rubber plug to the right of the gas filler where I'm assuming the DEF fill will go on the diesels. Given that, I'm guessing that the DEF tank will be located somewhere in the vicinity of the gas tank and tucked up out of the way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just got off a one month GM tour where Colorado's and/or Canyon's were available at every stop. The fuel filler door is wide on these trucks and when I popped it open on the four cylinder and six cylinder pre-production models we had there was the gas filler cap and a rubber plug to the right of the gas filler where I'm assuming the DEF fill will go on the diesels. Given that, I'm guessing that the DEF tank will be located somewhere in the vicinity of the gas tank and tucked up out of the way.
I remember you mentioning the large fuel door with the second input for the DEF fill-up, so I assumed it was going to be located on the same frame rail. I'm just hoping it is tucked up and not hanging down like the HDs. I have a feeling it will be tucked up though - just want some visual proof or confirmation.

EDIT - I figured this out.

Toying with the Build & Price again, I see there is an option on the gas models for an additional 3 gallon tank added to the main fuel tank. I'm betting that is what that smaller tank is connected to the main fuel tank. On the diesel, this will be the DEF tank, and the extra 3 gallons for fuel will not be an option. This works for me.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Toying with the Build & Price again, I see there is an option on the gas models for an additional 3 gallon tank added to the main fuel tank. I'm betting that is what that smaller tank is connected to the main fuel tank. On the diesel, this will be the DEF tank, and the extra 3 gallons for fuel will not be an option. This works for me.
I need to play with the build and price - didn't know about the extra 3 gallon option deal. I suppose it's possible that the diesel's composite fuel tank could be one unit with two tanks molded together - a large volume tank for gas and a smaller volume tank for DEF - all in one unit. Looking at the attached video I can't really see a spot where a DEF tank would fit unless it is part of the main fuel tank or the main tank is smaller on the diesel trucks. I guess I need to start getting underneath the trucks at the next events I work where we have Colorado's/Canyon's on the floor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I need to play with the build and price - didn't know about the extra 3 gallon option deal. I suppose it's possible that the diesel's composite fuel tank could be one unit with two tanks molded together - a large volume tank for gas and a smaller volume tank for DEF - all in one unit. Looking at the attached video I can't really see a spot where a DEF tank would fit unless it is part of the main fuel tank or the main tank is smaller on the diesel trucks. I guess I need to start getting underneath the trucks at the next events I work where we have Colorado's/Canyon's on the floor.
Yeah, the additional 3-gallon tank was a surprise to me. Only adds $18 to the price of the truck, so probably worth it if you're going with the gas engines.

The tank we're talking about looks to be a molded part of the main tank. You can see it on the video in the OP pretty clearly. It is the part closest to the front of the truck. The main fuel tank is behind it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts