Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got down to the Detroit Auto Show today and found that Chevrolet had several cutaway engines on display including the 2.8 Duramax diesel that will be available in the Colorado and Canyon.

IIRC nobody on here has mentioned or asked about what drives the cam on the diesel. Well I had always assumed it was going to be a chain but to my surprise it's a belt! So now I have to assume changing out the timing belt is going to be a regular maintenance item but what will the frequency be? Recommendations for a typical timing belt equipped vehicle requires changing the belts every 80k - 100k miles.

So for those of us contemplating purchasing the 2.8 Duramax we now have to factor that expense into our decisions. I don't think it's a deal beaker for me but I'm definitely going to take it into consideration while making my purchase decision.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
ahhhh, timing belt still chaps my ass though

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
hey don't bitch I have a timing chain to replace on my 2.9 give it time there will be aftermarket fixes

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
forgive my ignorance but if a timing belt is good for almost 80 to 100K miles, how long a distribution chain should last??

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah timing chains last way longer

Almost all manufactures recommend timing belt replacement at 60,000 mi

As Ed said, its not the parts that are expensive.........its all of the labor cost that gets you.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts

As Ed said, its not the parts that are expensive.........its all of the labor cost that gets you.
based on your eperience, how many miles should a distribution chain should last in average?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well there are plenty of current 355s with 150,000 to 300,000 miles on them with the original timing chains intact.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some web searches and it appears the diesel is going to have a 150k mile timing belt replacement interval. That's not too bad but as some of you have mentioned it does mean some pretty steep labor costs because of all the stuff that's in the way.

·
Registered
415 Posts
hey don't bitch I have a timing chain to replace on my 2.9 give it time there will be aftermarket fixes
im with you. every time my 2.8 gets close to an oil change when i first start it in the mornings it sounds like 2 dogs growling under the hood its nasty sounding sometimes

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
it's really no problem my 07 aveo I have i already do this and after 60k it's a time bomb but at 150k it would be time for some tlc anyway

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I would rather have a timing belt if it's a non-interference engine because they make less noise, less weight, improve mpg, and no plastic metal guides to break to cause catastrophic damage.

My Honda has 140,000 mile change intervals and have heard they can go for 200K or more if you push it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, thanks for the photos. It's posts like this that make me like this place.

Next, please pardon the ignorance of these questions: What advantages does a manufacturer gain by building an engine with a belt instead of a chain? I mean, seriously; Does it save enough in initial costs to add even 1/10 of a percent to the bottom line? Would passing those additional costs to the consumer price the thing out of it's intended market? Is it just a hold-over from - pardon the *profanity - *Planned Obsolescence? [rant]:)th_s52: And thank you, Detroit, the Big 3, & the UAW "leadership", for making that such an important element of our culture and economy - you rat bastards.)[/rant]

All replies welcome. But if one of the GM folks that monitors this site would care to weigh in and enlighten me, I'd like that. (I don't care that it might put a target on your arse. What's a little harsh language among consenting adults?)

Anyhoo ... thanks again for the pics. (Wonder if anyone makes those in a scale model kit. Great way to learn how the thing works, I think. I know more about helicopters than diesel engines ...)

:drinking28:

·
Registered
30 Posts

Its not that old of a thread to revive...
Everyone that complains about repairs costs and yet doesn't learn how to wrench themselves should be walking... A timing belt is super straight forward and its not even that hard.. In fact, while I'm in there, I'm gonna advise to my customers they spend and extra 24 dollars for long haul confidence.... 16 bucks for both cam seals, and 8 for the crank front seal... Why would anyone go that deep in there and NOT change the seals? If they are made from pretty close to the same materials, why would their failures or or replacements to prevent failures, not very close? When I do timing belts, I do the belt, water pump, thermostat(s), all belt pulleys(bearings), front main seal, cam seal(s)... And I can have all that done for less than 500 bucks, parts and labor.. Now if you brought me the parts I could get it done for 150... Or I could teach you how for beer... Then you could help spread the knowledge... We as technicians... We are a dying breed... In 30 years when my generation is ready to retire the world is gonna be hurting... The enrollment rates for vocational schools in this field are getting lower and lower... People are taking less classes in this field... And the funny thing is, service costs are going to continue to go up as a direct result of the lacking personnel that is qualified... When there are less people available with training to do the job, the ones left behind get to hike the price up, that's just how it works.. If you wanna drive costs back down, help me out and do your part... Learn to make your own repairs

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts