Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my job I get to attend a variety of automotive events and for the past couple of days I was at an event at GM's Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan. Note: security at the Proving Grounds is very tight and as a result photography is strictly forbidden. At the time I signed in with security they applied serial numbered "Pic Patch" stickers to both lenses on my phone's camera and to those of everyone else at the event. So I have no photos - sorry!

At this event there was a 2015 GMC Canyon crew cab long bed and a 2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 short bed crew cab on static display. Because the trucks have been officially released for public viewing and I wasn't instructed to not say anything about what I observed I think that I'm OK posting this.

So, in no particular order, here are the details that I remember:

Both trucks had the VIN stickers on the drivers side door jams with Not for Sale or Not for Retail Sale or something to that effect which is an indication that they are pre-production models. I remember the Canyon had a Proudly Made in Wentzville, MO sticker on the lower left inside of the door.

I had a chance to spend about 15 minutes sitting in the Canyon without any interruptions. This truck was a very deep dark green color with a dark charcoal with slightly lighter gray cloth patterned seat centers. I don't remember if the Canyon had the Z71 markings on the truck or not but it did have bucket seats with the automatic gear selector on the console.

The interior was very nice! In the front under dash open storage pocket of the center console is a 12 volt power outlet, one USB port and an auxiliary input jack. On the rear of the center console for rear seat passengers was another 12 volt outlet and, as I recall, two or three USB ports. Lots of storage under the lid of the center console, too. I don't remember if it had a 110 volt outlet or not.

The rear seat seat backs folded forward over the top of the seat bottoms making for a flat carpeted load floor. I think I remember it being a 60/40 split. The rear headrests have an easily accessible button to make it easy to remove the headrests so that the seat backs can lay flat. If the front seat is back far enough it doesn't look like it is possible to lay the rear seat back down flat without the headrest hitting the back of the front seat, hence the removable headrests..

There is a lot of legroom in the front of the truck and it had a tilt and telescoping steering wheel. It had a big screen LCD display in the top center stack of the dash and a smaller LCD screen in the center of the gauge cluster. The fuel and temperature gauges were above the smaller screen in the gauge cluster.

The gas filler door on the driver's side of the bed was about twice as wide as a typical gas door. Push the door from the outside and it has a popper to pop it open. Inside I found a traditional gas cap and next to that a round, maybe 1.5" diameter, rubber plug that I assume is where the DEF filler will be on the diesel models.

The interior on this truck is a huge improvement compared to the first gen trucks especially when compared to the base interior in the first gen work truck models like mine. The interior door panels had nice, soft, arm rests that fit my elbow perfectly. There is plenty of headroom, too.

This truck had a credit card size slot on the dash to the left of the steering column. This is where the optional trailer brake controller goes. Don't know if the non-trailer brake controller trucks will have the slot or if it's just unique to the pre-production models.

With the seat back far enough to be comfortable for my reasonably long legs the B-pillar between the front and rear side window did not intrude into my peripheral vision. I thought that was great since I'd driven a new Cruz awhile back and for me to fit comfortably the B-pillar interfered with my peripheral vision.

I'm 6' and currently 230 lbs and at first sit in the drivers seat the seat bottom cushion felt a little too narrow and tight for me with its subtle side bolsters. However, after a couple of minutes in the seat that feeling went away and it felt pretty good. The length of the seat bottom was long enough to give me plenty of thigh support, too. And the seat backs were pretty firm in my lower lumbar area and felt really good. I didn't think to check to see if there was a lumber support adjustment or not.

In this truck the drivers seat was all power fore - aft and up down. The passenger seat had a manual fore - aft grab handle on the bottom left front of the seat down near the seat track. Both had manual seat back tilt as I recall.

The Canyon had a sliding rear window with de-icer. I don't know if it was a power slider or not because I didn't notice if there was a sliding window switch on the dash.

The rear axle was mounted under the leaf spring.

I saw several camouflaged Colly's/Canyon's on one of the nearby test tracks but couldn't tell whether they were diesels or not because they were too far away. However, another friend at the event in another location at the Proving Grounds reported that he did see a couple of diesels during our time there.

I had a chance to speak to the head of the diesel engine program and asked him some questions. For competitive reasons and because they don't have the official EPA numbers yet he couldn't give out the fuel economy numbers that they have been seeing but I suspect they are going to be really good.

He noted that in their mountain tow testing out west dragging around a 7k lb trailer was no big deal for the diesel equipped truck. I find that really encouraging in terms of tow-ability.

So there you have it - a first sit in the new Canyon! If you have any question ask away and it may trigger a memory of the truck that I didn't remember as I typed this.

Bob

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comparitivly to the current model would you say it still feels like a " mid sized " truck. It just looks so damn big in the pics

(mobile)
While the new Colly/Canyon are bigger than the first gen truck, especially in width, it still feels mid-size to me. At the event I was in and out of full size 1500 and 3500 series trucks from GM, Dodge and Ford and they are BIG. The new Colly/Canyon, while bigger than the first gen, feel much smaller.

While I like full size trucks I rarely have a need for one and in dealing with real life driving, parking a big truck, especially in a tight parking lot, gets tiring after awhile. The new Colly/Canyon on the other hand, are quite a bit smaller than the full size and I don't think that I would have any trouble living with one as my daily driver. It's a really nice compromise between size and capability, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of other things about the Canyon that I'm recalling is that there are welded D-shaped tie downs on the lower front and lower rear corners of the bed like the first gen trucks. There were also a composite plastic tie down located higher on the corners with what looked like plastic covers spaced every 18" to 24" down the length of the upper inside bed. I'm thinking these are the moveable tie-down option feature.

The truck had a really nice sprayed in bedliner. I don't need that feature because I prefer a softer BedRug but it was a quality, glossy liner and very nicely done.

It did not have a RPO code sticker in the glove box.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
How was the back seat? Space for three people?

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How was the back seat? Space for three people?
The back seat isn't as wide as a full size but it was big enough that I think you can get three in there in reasonable comfort. Now I wouldn't want to be the center rear passenger on a 2k mile drive but any drive under a couple of hours would be pretty doable, I think. However, the rear of the center console on this truck would probably cause some cramped foot room for a center rear passenger so a front bench model would probably be better suited if you're going to load it up with passengers on a regular basis.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Excellent write up! Thanks for all of the info! I can't wait to see these trucks in the wild.

This was my favorite part:
He noted that in their mountain tow testing out west dragging around a 7k lb trailer was no big deal for the diesel equipped truck. I find that really encouraging in terms of tow-ability.
Towing 7K - 7.5K seems about perfect for the diesel on the mid-size platform. If that is the ballpark for the final tow rating, that's a big check mark for me.

I REALLY hope they add a blue color to the paint options before the diesel version is available.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent write up! Thanks for all of the info! I can't wait to see these trucks in the wild.

This was my favorite part:

Towing 7K - 7.5K seems about perfect for the diesel on the mid-size platform. If that is the ballpark for the final tow rating, that's a big check mark for me.

I REALLY hope they add a blue color to the paint options before the diesel version is available.
He sounded so matter of fact about the ease of towing that size trailer that it really seems to be no big deal. And it also says to me that he thinks they've done a really good job testing in the worst conditions. If true, it's amazing to get that kind of performance out of a four cylinder diesel. Now if they can also hit the magic 30 mpg highway mark we'll have a real winner of a truck. With the full size Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel at 27/28 highway I've got to believe that GM is doing everything they can to get a minimum of 30 out of the new truck to help differentiate them from the other auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wonder if the diesel will be offered with an exhaust brake...

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if the diesel will be offered with an exhaust brake...
That's a really good question that I don't think anyone has asked around here before. If I get a chance to work another GM truck event before the diesel specs are officially released I'll remember to ask that question of the GM folks.

Now the next question is will they include the transmission brake/automatic downshift function used on the full size trucks? If they include both it ought to be an awesome combination.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's a really good question that I don't think anyone has asked around here before. If I get a chance to work another GM truck event before the diesel specs are officially released I'll remember to ask that question of the GM folks.

Now the next question is will they include the transmission brake/automatic downshift function used on the full size trucks? If they include both it ought to be an awesome combination.
Yeah if they offered that it would really set the truck apart and make it a very capable tower/hauler.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob! Good stuff.

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
:salute:

Thanks for info!! Great Job!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I am wondering about is, if you have the front seat set where your comfortable how is the legroom is the back seat on the crew cab. Are your knees jammed against the seat? I'm 5'11 so we are around the same height

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I am wondering about is, if you have the front seat set where your comfortable how is the legroom is the back seat on the crew cab. Are your knees jammed against the seat? I'm 5'11 so we are around the same height
Another good question - but I don't know the answer because I never thought to actually sit in the back seat! I did look around the back seat after sitting up front and I think it's one of those spaces that you can get by with for short trips but you may not want to spend an entire day or more back there.

During the event I was assigned to a Ram 3500 MegaCab dually. Now that thing had huge legroom in back - probably just as much as the front seat! So looking around the Canyon after being in the Ram the Canyon did appear small.

If I get another chance in a Colly or Canyon I'll be sure to spend some time sitting in the back seat and give a full report on that.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was involved in a GM competitive ride and drive event at the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI yesterday and had a chance to speak with an engineer about the new Colorado/Canyon diesel. In case you were wondering they didn't have a new 2015 Coly/Canyon at the event but there were several camouflaged test mules that drove by the event site multiple times during the day. Because of the very basic looking and kind of small exhaust pipe, and the quietness of the engine, I don't believe any of them were diesel powered.

The engineer and several other GM folks that I spoke with all indicated that they keep hearing about how excited people are about the upcoming trucks. These guys follow the various automotive forums, too, and are in touch with what prospective customers want.

I was talking diesel fuel economy with the engineer and while he didn't say what the official fuel economy ratings will be he pretty much confirmed what I've thought all along. He said that with the new RAM EcoDiesel pulling 27/28 mpg ratings in a bigger and heavier truck with a slightly bigger engine then there shouldn't be a problem with the 2.8 Duramax hitting 30 with 32 not out of reach in the new Coly/Canyon. He was amazingly confident about 30 mpg being achievable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New guy here. I went from an '06 Canyon to an '11 Silverado because of a bad back and the uncomfortable ride in the Canyon. I'm hoping we get alot better seat in the new models. I can go all day in the Silverado with no problems and get out without feeling like I've been beat up.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
New guy here. I went from an '06 Canyon to an '11 Silverado because of a bad back and the uncomfortable ride in the Canyon. I'm hoping we get alot better seat in the new models. I can go all day in the Silverado with no problems and get out without feeling like I've been beat up.
you could have put h3 seats in the truck and avoid the note

1 - 19 of 19 Posts