Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I'm not sure how you got an extended cab Z71 with only a few options to cost over $40,000? My newly ordered 2016 Red Hot Extended cab, Z71 4x4 with a 3.6 engine, upgraded radio and Bose system, Chrome Side steps, spray in bed liner, tow package and mud flaps is $36,000. That's pretty much all the major options. Just curious how you got it to be over 40K? I guess if you clicked on every single option there is, you could get close, but why?
My crew cab short bed, fully loaded came out to $39,970. However since then, they've added the trail boss edition which can add another near $3000 but that's for the more serious off roaders. It serves me no purpose to pay extra for those wheels and tires.
Well they had a white crew cab z71 long bed loaded on the lot for $45,xxx. I had him run the numbers for a diesel z71 extended cab, no leather, and just the upgraded stereo and it was $42,675 not including tax and dealer fees which brought it closer to the $50K mark.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can build the 2016 truck now at the chevy website yourself. The Colorado Z71 4x4 extended cab with the upgraded radio and Bose speakers starts at $33,970. If you add the 3.6 V6 it is $34,920. That's with destination and freight charges included. The dealer fees in my state usually run around $400 to sometimes $700 on the high end. And they say the diesel engine should run approximately another $3,700, which would make the truck cost around $39,000. You did not mention the diesel engine in your first statement, but these are the real prices.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Anyhow, with the diesel engine these trucks are going to get expensive for sure. And I don't think they are offering that option in the extended cab right now, but if they do at some point and you add some other options, you can definitely go over $40,000.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I can't see paying that much for a midsize, even with you guys getting them under $40,000. I'm not a fan of the v6 redesign either since it incorporates the exhaust manifold into the head, the oil filter location sucks and there are a few design cues that worry me about it in the long run which is why I was opting for the diesel. Still though the diesel will be a gamble since it is a new engine.

It's not just the trucks though with the price jumps. I was looking for a new daily and test drove a cruze and it was like riding in a tin can powered by a tortoise and they wanted $26K for it. Overall I am not very pleased with the whole GM line-up except the fullsize trucks, but you have to get a left over or settle a lot on options to get one that's affordable with one income and a mortgage.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yah! Cars and trucks cost a lot now. I think too much. I don't need a fully computerized truck. I don't need Onstar, stabilitrack, anti lock brakes and all that crap. I will probably miss my CD player.lol. My parents bought their house in 1971 for $34,000. I miss the engines with a distributor, points and carb that I could work on myself. But on the other hand I do like that new cars have mufflers, spark plugs and brakes and other parts that last forever now. I couldn't imagine going 90 thousand miles on one set of plugs in the old days.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The other thing I did was try to price out a single cab full size truck with the same options or close, Z71 4x4, LT, nice sound system, side steps, mud flaps, and using the discounts, and it still was at least 2 to 3 thousand more than the Colorado extended cab! And it was a single cab. And I like the smaller width truck better. So, I went with the Colorado.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yeah I hear you. You're better off with a leftover silverado since they seem to drop the prices a lot after the new year comes out. You can get the extended cab leftovers with good options for around $32,000 out the door near me. If you can settle with one that has around 20K-30K miles you can get them around $20K-$25K depending on options.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts