Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Colorado. love the truck but its having some pretty serious safety issues. it randomly shuts off while driving. its done this 4 times so far, all on different days. twice I've been going down the highway, 55-70 mph. Once when accelerating from a stop light. and once while pulling into a driveway. the dealership cant find anything wrong with it. no codes, nothing. the truck runs pretty well, it does seem to bog down just a bit, but not enough to be immediately noticeable. the truck can start up again immediately. and starts as if nothing happened. the dealership did a fuel treatment that they said would fix it but nothing. a few months ago i had it serviced for a p0446 code. shortly after service the light came on again with the same code then went off after a few minutes. this code is for the circuit for the evap system. I am thinking a few things. the fuel pump (but there's no code), the fuel filter (but there no code), and maybe the evap system again(but there's no code), others are problems I've seen with the 2015-16 that have computer related problems, but those haven't seemed to flow over into the 2017 models. I am trying to find the most likely possibility as these fixes appear to be expensive. I cant be the only one to have this problem and I am at a total loss right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you loose all the instrumentation? I'd be looking at the ignition switch, or some other point of losing major electrical power.
I do. the dash completely shuts off. as if i turned off the key. I was reading that a bad ground might cause it to happen.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do. the dash completely shuts off. as if i turned off the key. I was reading that a bad ground might cause it to happen.
I'm not familiar with the 2nd generation trucks, but most vehicle s have a main body ground directly from the negative battery terminal. It's generally a smaller wire than the main thick wire going to the engine block. If this wire has a bad connection, and the engine is not grounded to the body, your truck will just shut down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not familiar with the 2nd generation trucks, but most vehicle s have a main body ground directly from the negative battery terminal. It's generally a smaller wire than the main thick wire going to the engine block. If this wire has a bad connection, and the engine is not grounded to the body, your truck will just shut down.
I will check that while I replace the wheel bearings tomorrow. Thank you for the input and I'll update with what I find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Colorado. love the truck but its having some pretty serious safety issues. it randomly shuts off while driving. its done this 4 times so far, all on different days. twice I've been going down the highway, 55-70 mph. Once when accelerating from a stop light. and once while pulling into a driveway. the dealership cant find anything wrong with it. no codes, nothing. the truck runs pretty well, it does seem to bog down just a bit, but not enough to be immediately noticeable. the truck can start up again immediately. and starts as if nothing happened. the dealership did a fuel treatment that they said would fix it but nothing. a few months ago i had it serviced for a p0446 code. shortly after service the light came on again with the same code then went off after a few minutes. this code is for the circuit for the evap system. I am thinking a few things. the fuel pump (but there's no code), the fuel filter (but there no code), and maybe the evap system again(but there's no code), others are problems I've seen with the 2015-16 that have computer related problems, but those haven't seemed to flow over into the 2017 models. I am trying to find the most likely possibility as these fixes appear to be expensive. I cant be the only one to have this problem and I am at a total loss right now.
I will check that while I replace the wheel bearings tomorrow. Thank you for the input and I'll update with what I find out.
Brandon.

Did you get your problem fixed. I have the same problem with same 2017 colorado z71. I notice it happens when the fuel is lower than 1/4 of a tank. Let me know if you solved the problem. I've got 38k miles and I'm really scared to drive it. Not sure I will buy another chevy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't able to find anything wrong. I started limiting my driving with it to within a few miles of my home. It hasn't cut off in weeks, so I'm optimistic-ish. But for your situation, I would try to check the fuel system. The pump/filter/ anything else that might prevent the flow of fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im gonna have my Electronic Control Module checked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brandon.

Just an update. I went to the chevy dealer and had both my ecm module and gas tank sensor / fuel evap solenoid changed. I have driven the truck for 3 months no problems. I think the problem is solved. About $1000. Hope this help you and the rest of us that have the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts