Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's going on guys. I just read where they took a newer model canyon and turned it into the beloved Syclone.

Here is the link

https://jalopnik.com/the-gmc-syclone-is-back-with-this-455-hp-conversion-kit-1834080142

Supposedly they have a conversation kit available too.

Everyone loves the 1991 GMC Syclone, the all-wheel drive turbocharged six-cylinder muscle truck that was only sold in one color—black. Well it’s back, unofficially, through a tuner shop as a 455 horsepower supercharged conversion of the 2019 GMC Canyon pickup

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Do I want one? YES I DO! Can I do it? The answer is “I am retired”. You guessed it.
It is a neat idea. I can dream.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think I may have read this the day the news broke. this was kind of old news for me to see here. Then again, I have a hard on for Sy/Ty's.

But I'm with you freak, this is an abomination, and the price is ridiculous.

$40k extra for a 1/100 truck, with less than 10k in mods. 40k for a supercharger, lowering and traction package, and brakes. Non performance mods includs only weels and branding. wow. you are definately paying for a 1/100.

Now I can get over the supercharger thing. if you make boost, I don't care how. I personally like supers better. But these guys hit a line drive instead of a home run when they said "available in 2 or 4 wheel drive"... enter the abomination. The greatest thing about the old sy/ty is that in its time, it was attempting to compete with a 2wd full size ford lightning and other competitor offerings that were running laps around them at the track. So how did the little tornado become a syclone? ALL WHEEL DRIVE, ALL THE TIME. using a BW4472 differential (same as an awd astro van) in place of the traditional Tcase. The Sy/Ty's used to rocket away using a turbo 6 awd in a mini truck, while the full size competitors were fighting for traction. All it took was a Tcase swap. No major changes to the 4wd platform used, just a Tcase, and shafts.

How hard would it be to make a new syclone AWD? Tcase swap, shafts, maybe gearing. biggest question is what Tcase to use? Hp numbers are higher these days so an old BW4472 wont cut it. they only take handle 1200 fl/lb and given a 4l60 has a 1st gear at 3.09, going past 350 at the crank is risky business. Look at the trailblazer SS, silverado SS, and even escalades. all pumping upwards of 6.2L supercharged into a NV149 on 800+ HP.

The only thing holding back a Tcase swap is most likely a BFH. Just like S10 guys swapping in 4472's all it takes is a hammer in the right spot and the larger differential fits in just fine. But I guess you can't just do that to a new vehicle...

But for the price of a second truck!!! WHAT? seriously 40 freaking thousand freaking dollars... AMERICAN DOLLARS... for a supercharger, brakes, and suspension. Lest we forget the name. that's what costs $30k.

It all made sense when I realized it was the same guys bringing us the 2020 Yenko Camaro. These guys want an extra 30k for a limited number of "yenko"s... Basically a SS 1LE (base value of 42k) with a built motor. A lot of their touted performance mods, are Chevy performance parts optioned onto the vehicle. for $30k I'm pretty sure you could build 3- 1000HP 6.2L engines.

These vehicles from this builder, are simply there to be limited number collectors cars "looking the part" that have nostalgia for the older auto enthusiasts out there. They just lack the "magic" that made the originals great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts