Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GMC Canyon
52 Posts
Strange to see such a major mechanical failure with such low mileage. You don't hear any unusual sounds ? If I had to guess... there are a whole bunch of timing chains, gears and tensioners inside that motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange to see such a major mechanical failure with such low mileage. You don't hear any unusual sounds ? If I had to guess... there are a whole bunch of timing chains, gears and tensioners inside that motor.
Right? And the vehicle has been well taken care of. No unusual sounds. I had it die recently while idling which I attributed to the cam/crank sensor issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems like your filter should be picking up flakes big enough to see in the VVT screens. I would think timing chain metal would go straight to the pan and then get filtered before it makes it to the VVT solenoid. Might want to cut open the filter and drop the pan to see what is being collected. Also you could send the oil to be analyzed to see what type of metal is suspended in it. This could give you a clue as to what is failing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I have an 05 Reg Cab with a 2.8 - When I bought the truck from my brothers step son, it had the exact same issue, except they had taken half the engine apart:oops:. They installed a new VVT and drove it, until - UNTIL the guide snapped and dropped into the crank sprocket. all 8 Exhaust valves bent and it was done.
Well, I can tell you what I found - The Timing chain had eaten thru the Nylon guide pad and distributed the Aluminum shavings thru the engine....Everywhere, and I mean everywhere, lifters, Balance shaft bearings, Main bearings --- As you stated the VVT solenoid screens.... Everywhere! to save yourself some time and trouble, I suggest pulling the valve cover or at least try to see inside the fill hole. Get a good look inside!
I had to pull the engine, clean the block and head MULTIPLE times. My hardest challenge was the balance shaft Bearings -- The tools are not rentable, I had to make my own, The machine shop gave me dimensions of the bores. I will say Good Luck - Hope you the best - but I've been there... it may get messy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts