Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at the duratracs in those two sizes

My used 09 z71 came with sr-a tires in 255/75r17 they fit fine but all leak air. I'd also like a more aggressive tread.

the draw to the 255's are they are 4lb lighter and $20 cheaper per tire than the 265

Any big downsides to the narrower 255 on these trucks?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Do you drive a Z71 or Z85? I do not recognize that tire size you listed as stock....are they stock or has the previous owner already replaced tires? Because of your 2nd question I assume you drive Z71.

Are they factory wheels?

Those questions can be answered by looking at the manufacturer sticker on the driver side door jamb. It lists factory tire size, and wheel size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you silver10can

rims are stock, truck is unmodified. I'm aware of the stock tire size.

The current tires were tossed on so that it could pass inspection by the seller.

To be more specific about my question. For anyone who has the hands on experience with a variety of tire sizes on these trucks. Am I going to feel much of a difference between the two tire sizes?

Even more specifically: How much does weight impact ride harshness? How much does tire width impact ride stability?

On paper they look very similar.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
While you are aware of stock parameters of your vehicle, I am not.

My question was because there are two stock size tires and wheels...and you didn't specify anything about the vehicle you drive. I was trying to judge the difference in size you are considering vs. stock. Plus one vehicle has a more narrow wheel than the other.

Never mind all that...the 265 option you listed is 1/2" smaller than the 255. Unlikely you will notice a difference.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
The vehicle the OP drives is a 09 z71 as hinted to in post #1 and #2 and in the OP's profile.

Zender... The 255/75 is only 1/2 inch narrower than the 265/70... hardly a difference and wouldn't be noticeable as far as stability.

Be aware the Duratrac will be louder on the road than the stock Goodyears. Weight has more of an impact on gas mileage while the load range would impact harshness. I would get load range C (if available) or D as load range E is too stiff for a mid sized truck.

To answer your question I don't see any downside to the 255/75 if you can get them in load range C or D. I would keep them at around 35 psi

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My Z71 12 came with 265/70r17 as stock tire.

Maybe there is no big difference between the two sizes you stated, but when you look at it from some sort of distance the "aspect" is really different, I prefer "wider" tires than "taller" tires. just like you said it gives a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My plan with my tax return is to buy some 255/75R17 tires. I'm currently running 265/70R17 E tires. Has anyone ever ran Cooper AT3? I've never owned Cooper tires and at there low price I didn't know if they were a crappy tire or just a good buy.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Those are good tires. Lots of people have them. The tread pattern isn't too bad for noise (from what I've read).

I suggest Load Range "C", not Range "E". E-Rated tires are way too hard for our trucks.

The only experience with Cooper I have is on my Ford I had Cooper Zeon LTZ. They were pretty quiet and rode nicely (even considering I had a relatively low profile tire).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those are good tires. Lots of people have them. The tread pattern isn't too bad for noise (from what I've read).

I suggest Load Range "C", not Range "E". E-Rated tires are way too hard for our trucks.

The only experience with Cooper I have is on my Ford I had Cooper Zeon LTZ. They were pretty quiet and rode nicely (even considering I had a relatively low profile tire).
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going with a C or SL. My E rated tires are unreal heavy. The only reason I have them is because I picked them up for $200 and only had 2,000 miles on them at the time. I had just purchased my lift/tires and was too broke to get the tires I wanted.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm at a stand still....I can't decide on sticking with 265/70 or going with 255/75. I have 17x8 wheels. Will I lose much power stepping up that small of amount in diameter?

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
No.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I ended up going with some 265/70r17 Cooper at3 tires that I got a good deal on. I'll let you know once they are on if I feela gearing advantage from my current 255/75r17 rs-a . The rsa are half worn anda lighter tire though so I'm guessing if I feel anything it might be cruising in top gear.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Nah, the new tire is only 1/2" smaller than the previous tire. You will probably only feel the difference if you fixate on it and make yourself believe you can notice it. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well I ended up going with some 265/70r17 Cooper at3 tires that I got a good deal on. I'll let you know once they are on if I feela gearing advantage from my current 255/75r17 rs-a . The rsa are half worn anda lighter tire though so I'm guessing if I feel anything it might be cruising in top gear.
I'm also looking at Cooper AT3 in 265/70 or Duratrac in 255/75. I hate tire shopping lol. I'm broke 95% of the time so its hard to pull the trigger on a $600-$700 purchase

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really dig the grabbers. I'm really trying to be cheap, stay light on weight, but look good! There's so many tires lol!! I've been on every site known to man over the past couple weeks. I'm wanting to stay below $160 really...I'm also going for the prerunner look so maybe grabbers should be my choice. They look the part

·
Registered
415 Posts
all im saying is stay away from the hankook dynapro atm rfn tires they are crap my cousin has some on his sierra and those tires do nothing but slide around when its wet on the roads. doesnt matter if its alot of water or a lil bit they suck.... just my opinion...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts