Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they're as popular as 285/70/17's but after my lift I felt like those are still too big for my truck unless I got the 5 inch spindle lift. So tomorrow bright and early I'll be getting my 275's installed on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Classic II's. Since I'm going from my original stock 2wd z85 wheel setup (I think 225/75/15?) I'm pretty excited to see her new stance tomorrow. Here's a teaser, I'll update once they're installed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
285/65/17 will be the same height/diameter and 3/4"+ wider than the original 265/70/17.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I hope they clear alright. (assuming you are installing 275/70-17)
Sorry, I don't know what lift you have. That tire is taller (and wider) than what I have on my 4x4 Z85.

What size tire is on now? Is that the stock you referenced or have you already increased since once?

What is the backspace on the wheel?

If you are going to 275/70-17 from 225/75-15 you'll find the speedometer will be off a LOT. The tire is almost 14% larger than stock. So add 14% of each speed displayed on your dash to determine your actual driving speed.
For example;
35mph has an actual speed of 40 (39.8)
When the display shows 70, you're actually driving 80 (79.6).

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size tire is on now? Is that the stock you referenced or have you already increased since once?

What is the backspace on the wheel?
I have the stock wheels and tires on now. I installed the 3 inch PA body lift Readylift 2wd suspension lift (2.5 in the front, 1.5 in the back) and 1 inch Add-a-leafs, but haven't had the cash to get a new wheel tire combo. I also trimmed the front bumper and cut the body mounts, just in case.

The new wheels have 4.5" backspacing. From what I've read, it sounds do-able, maybe with rubbing on the sway bar? I dunno I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Next up will be a tune, I'm curious how tough it'll be to drive and try to calculate how fast I'm actually going in various speed limit zones haha

Post up pics when you've got it all together
Will do, as soon as I pick it up after work. Can't wait!

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crappy cell pics are better than no pics!

Slight rub on the inner fender wall, other than that no problems. Will trim tomorrow and see how it feels. Also need to paint the center caps for the wheels. All in all I'm very happy with where she's sitting now.

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! A big improvement over stock, I think

1 - 8 of 8 Posts