Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my lift on and had it aligned but now when I drive it it'll sway back and forth when I let off the throttle. I can't go over 40 or I would completely loose control. Any ideas what could be causing it? In the front I have a 3" spindle and the lift coil springs in the back I have 2 inch all and 2 inch shackles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Could you give us more details on the "it'll sway back and forth when I let off the throttle" part?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really sure what more I can add... around 25+ mph the truck starts to sway like the wheel is being turned back and forth and the faster i go the worse I get. I guess I can also add that I added 265/75r17 wheels but before I had the lift I was running those wheels with no problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does a little but it feels like the truck moves a lot more than the wheel does. So I don't know maybe I'll take it back and have them re align it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
Is the tie-rod supposed to be on top for the spindle lifts because I know it's on the bottom on the stock spindles. (I really have no idea, just spit-ballin' here, hopefully someone who is familiar with the spindle lifts can confirm/deny)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'll go change that.. That's my fault.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
no lift spindles move it to the top. you had it right. It's tapered anyways you can't put it together wrong.

My guess would be bad wheel bearing or it was misaligned. Since you say it sways I'm leaning more towards a wheel bearing because the wheel would be able to toe in and out slightly which would certainly cause what you describe.

·
Registered
510 Posts
what type front coil spring are that?

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
No the tie rod goes in from the bottom. The 4wds go on the top when you do a 2wd spindle lift. I've had the 3 inch spindles and now I've got the CST spindles and both the instructions are on the borrom. From what I understand you'll have hellacious bump steer and wobble like you're having on the top

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
no lift spindles move it to the top. you had it right. It's tapered anyways you can't put it together wrong.

My guess would be bad wheel bearing or it was misaligned. Since you say it sways I'm leaning more towards a wheel bearing because the wheel would be able to toe in and out slightly which would certainly cause what you describe.
Everybody:
Is the above incorrect information then?

Does it depend on which spindle as to which way to install the tierod end? Also, if it's tapered, then it stands to good reason that it's actually installed correctly??

Not trying to argue, and I don't have any experience, but it seems both answers are pressing to be the right answer.

I'd say drive it to a front end shop and ask them what's going on.....remind them not to drive it fast on their test drive too.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Fixxers info is incorrect. Not trying to come across harsh or anything but Kevin (xkmacx)(spelling) used 3" 2wd spindles to lift his 4x4 and HAD to flip the tie rod for his alignment to correct bump steer if I remember correctly.

The 2wd trucks have to have the tie rods installed from the bottom or the alignment it will cause bump and a shimmy in the steering. Even running the CST spindles you install from the bottom. It gives them a greater angle but installing them upside down will not work. I've been there and tried it

I can't believe the shop didn't test drive and investigate the issue before letting him drive off in the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Cool. I was curious if different brands may be different. Since both were pretty confident they were speaking correctly.

I can imagine the OP is even more confused than I am. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts