Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go. gonna go a 3/4 drop with the control arms and blocks from djm on a z85 colorado. I have 245/40/20 tires on a 9 inch wide rim. What are your thoughts? Also on a 1-5 scale whats the instal like on this? (especially with out access to fancy auto tools)

Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
So here we go. gonna go a 3/4 drop with the control arms and blocks from djm on a z85 colorado. I have 245/40/20 tires on a 9 inch wide rim. What are your thoughts? Also on a 1-5 scale whats the instal like on this? (especially with out access to fancy auto tools)

Thanks
2 hours is what i would say for install time, depending on how mechanicaly competent you are. Just did one about 2-3 weeks ago, first time dropping a colorado too. Ive done much more work on vehicles before though, motor swaps etc.

all done with jacks, jack stands, and hand tools.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i think ill give it a whirl when it comes in. Should i worry about any rubbing business?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
2 hours is what i would say for install time, depending on how mechanicaly competent you are. Just did one about 2-3 weeks ago, first time dropping a colorado too. Ive done much more work on vehicles before though, motor swaps etc.

all done with jacks, jack stands, and hand tools.
:gtfoslap: :gtfoprc: thats all I am going to say

it takes a day to do it and check everything twice..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
it took me 3 hours a side to di it with a socket and a cresent wrench. which wasnt bad for never working on a suspension before! but with air tools it was 45 min a side when i put on the new unbent controll arm.

·
Mr. Under Construction
784 Posts
be sure to go back and tighten everything after about a week or so...and lube it all rite after install, and again when you check

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
id say plan for a day incase you run into any problems.

when i changed out my springs, i got the coilovers out but couldnt get the springs to decompress b/c i was using hand tools:shrug:

so i just paid a shop to do my front end.

also get an alignment immidately. i went 3k w/o one and the inner part of my tires were wearn down to the chord.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
also get an alignment immidately. i went 3k w/o one and the inner part of my tires were wearn down to the chord.
From my personal experience, if you're putting in drop coils up front, I would suggest you give it a few days before getting the alignment done. You need to give it a little time to settle before having it aligned it because if it settles after the alignment, obviously your alignment will be off again. Happened to me. :mc:

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
From my personal experience, if you're putting in drop coils up front, I would suggest you give it a few days before getting the alignment done. You need to give it a little time to settle before having it aligned it because if it settles after the alignment, obviously your alignment will be off again. Happened to me. :mc:
good point:salute:

i waited 3 months:mc:. but i got new rims and tires out of the deal:kiki:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
good advice. or you could get a 1 year aligment from NTB. can go as many times as you want for a year.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
so, you got the mb kl-77s, hua.....make sure to post pics, and yes, its gonna rub your frame real good. i told you not to get these wheels. the backspacing isnt right for these trucks and they rub no matter what you do. youre gonna have to get real aware of turning your wheel too much for to long......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya I know you warned against them kerdad11, but i got a real good deal and i love the way they look. So you really think the srop im planning will cause that much of a problem? You're starting to make me second guess myself...

·
Registered
297 Posts

Thanks
you'll probably have bald tires in a month.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
the drop youre doing will work well with your choice of wheels and tires on a z85, and you wont have bald tires. the only reason mine rubs is cuz i did more drop than youre doin on a zq8. like i said, youll only rub at full lock in the front on the frame twards the back of the wheelwell. it aint bad.

these wheels limit the drop you can have cuz youll rub where fender flares are or should be.

for what youre doin tho...it will work fine...just dont get over ambitious with your drop like i did. remember, you want your truck to drive well, and look good second. rubbin alot just wastes money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thanks guys. I always get nervouse with suspension stuff so i always wanna make sure things work right. all your input was very helpful. its supposed to come in on tuesday. once we are all installed i'll post some pics. :srado:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts