Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was gonna just do a 2/3 drop but its just not low enough for my liking, if i do a 3/4 on my z85 with a notch how much can i haul without having to need helper bags? i never tow trailers or anything just throw parts in the back and the occasional engine (i do power coating) will i be good without em or will i still need helper bags? also anyone running the western chassis 3/4 setup? hows it ride?

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
How big of a notch you going? I've hauled about 1200lbs in my bed and towed about 2500 lbs before with a notch. Depending on the drop and notch size you still might be sitting on bump stops. I would get the helper bags and an on board compressor.

Western Chassis have been known to be too soft as far as the coils go. I've had a couple of member have them before, one liked them the other did not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably do the biggest notch I can fit since I'm cutting it might as well get the most room possible, I won't be hauling anywhere near as much weight as that though lol, I had heard the western chassis was soft as well....not what at all, so I'll do drop LCA's up front.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any of you guys that are running a 3/4 how bad was the axle slap on it without a notch?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I am running a DJM 3/4 and axle slap is rare but i either removed or seriously cut down my bumpstops in back, can't remember. I would definitely say to do a 2" pipe notch or larger but if you go larger you will need to do a significant amount of work to maintain frame strength. Check out this thread for notch info.

With the 4" drop on my z85 it only takes ~200 lbs in the bed to put me into slapping/bumping range and >300 drops me to the frame for a bouncy ride the whole time. With a 2" notch I would think you would avoid those problems until a good bit more weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool bc i probably wont be able to drop it and notch it at the same time so ill just cut the bumpstops off till the next weekend, hell i could probably not notch it at all, the last thing i put in the bed was a set of wheels with no tires that i was refinishing so not alot of weight really is ever back there

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and skizzo i saw in your sig youve got the belltech sways, how much of an improvement were they? i want my truck to handle well and be low too

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
They are worth every penny, there's another company that makes them for our trucks as well. Can't remember the name though.

4 inch drop without a notch isn't that bad if you're not hauling that much weight, just take out the large bumpstops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts