Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I fit 15x10 wheels that have a backspace of 3.5" with tires that are 33x12.5R15?
I have the Tuff Country 4" lift and Z71 fender flares. Will this amount of backspace cause rubbing issues with the bumper? How much would they stick out?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Wow, that's an interesting tire combo.

Use this site to assist you:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

It's going to stick out around 3" more than stock. My reaction to that appearance is "Holy Crap". But that's just me. On your truck with 4" of lift...I may reconsider, but only slightly. That's still a tire sticking way out.

Your introduction thread shows pictures of paint....stating it is currently being painted. It doesn't appear to be 4" lifted in those pics. Is it lifted now, or is it to be lifted while in the shop?

I don't have enough experience with the lift kits to know if that backspace is going to allow you to clear the ball joints. I only say that because I believe they require 16" wheels to clear the ball joint. I know there are 15's with a shallow backspace but I don't know what distance fits.
Or the bumpers for that matter. There are a handful of folks with subframe kits that may be able to help with the 'bumper' question.

Have you had the PCM tuned yet? I know you are somewhat robbed by power now with 265/75-15 tires. You are only 6% over stock size, but you will be looking at over 15% larger than stock.
A PCM tune should be in your future (a personal recommendation anyway) to get some power back, fix your shift points and correct your odometer.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
He should clear the ball joints. Fade2black ran 15x10 with 3.75 wheels and he cleared. Ima say you may need to crank your bars to clear at full lock. I ran a 4.5" dick cepek wheel and I rubbed with a 4" skyjacker and small crank. I rubbed the back inner fender.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting the mcneil fender flares, so I'm trying to get wheels that will be flush with the prerunner fenders. They claim that those bumpers stick out 5 inches. Would it be about flush? If I'm at risk of not clearing the ball joints, I might go up in wheel size to 16s or 17s. I'm not too concerned about power loss because it's the 5.3L, and I'll change the gearing eventually on the diffs.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Ahh....a V8. Definitely a helper.

If you plan to purchase wheels I would just go with 16 or 17" with the 33" tires. No need to stick with a 15 when the manufacturer recommends a 16. However it seems it should clear.

Just something else to consider, the further out you stick the wheels the more leverage it puts on the hubs....which are already sometimes in jeopardy. It seems a bit of a debate, some will say that oversized and shallow offset prematurely wears hubs, other say they have a long time on that setup and no hub failure yet.

I'd say more or less that it is a gamble - but considering you're putting that much effort into the lift, replacing the hubs once shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts