Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about running a turbo set up non intercooled, meth Injected, running on pump gas and looking to still drive it as a daily that I would be able to have some fun with.

questions I have are,
is this setup is reliable enough to be a daily and have no reoccurring problems?
What size turbo/ what kind of turbo should I run
And lastly any tips you suggest to me as a noobie to the boost world

Any help and pics would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think that setup would work just fine. I'm a believer in water/meth injection. There are a few members who daily drive their boosted Colorados. As long as you don't get carried away with boost and timing, they seem to be very reliable. Keep it under 10psi and it should last a very long time. Over 10psi and it's hit and miss (some have broke and some haven't).

A turbo with a 60mm compressor inducer (give or take a few mm) would be a good match for the 3.5. I believe there are a couple members here who had good results with a turbo around that size.

A Turbonetics 60-1 comes to mind as being well matched and easy to find.

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
running on pump gas and in SF, I would highly consider an intercooler to keep the intake temps down and make it more safe for daily driving. most guys running nonintercooled setups are running e85 that allows for it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
one from a 3.8 Buick GN would be a good match for a 3.5 or a 3.7
they can make up to 26 psi and spool quickly

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I'm thinking about running a turbo set up non intercooled, meth Injected, running on pump gas and looking to still drive it as a daily that I would be able to have some fun with.

questions I have are,
is this setup is reliable enough to be a daily and have no reoccurring problems?
What size turbo/ what kind of turbo should I run
And lastly any tips you suggest to me as a noobie to the boost world

Any help and pics would be appreciated :D
I wonder what you are going to due when it is time to do you bi-annual smog?

·
Registered
641 Posts
one from a 3.8 Buick GN would be a good match for a 3.5 or a 3.7
they can make up to 26 psi and spool quickly
26 psi on a 3.5L Atlas is over 600hp.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
@Wesorama

I have a Powerdyne BD11-A Supercharger that I'm looking to sell.

This is a self contained head unit..........so that means no need to redo your exhaust, turbo exhaust manifold, no oil feed or return lines needed. Going this route also keep the tems under the hood cooler which we know is better for power.....especially if you want to run it without a intercooler.

Build the brackets w/tensioner -belt, injectors, piping with a bypass valve and tune.

Let me know.......I'm only looking to get out of it for what I have into it. I bought it, inspected it and it went back in the box. These units go for $1100-2200 on ebay used like mine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
running on pump gas and in SF, I would highly consider an intercooler to keep the intake temps down and make it more safe for daily driving. most guys running nonintercooled setups are running e85 that allows for it.
But do I have to run e85? Like will it be that big of a problem? And I'm moving up to Oregon soon for school :D

Here's an example of a turbo that would work well:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=380776120349

That's about as affordable as it gets for a name brand turbo.
Thanks for the link it saves me time to start searching for the right turbo

@Wesorama

I have a Powerdyne BD11-A Supercharger that I'm looking to sell.

This is a self contained head unit..........so that means no need to redo your exhaust, turbo exhaust manifold, no oil feed or return lines needed. Going this route also keep the tems under the hood cooler which we know is better for power.....especially if you want to run it without a intercooler.

Build the brackets w/tensioner -belt, injectors, piping with a bypass valve and tune.

Let me know.......I'm only looking to get out of it for what I have into it. I bought it, inspected it and it went back in the box. These units go for $1100-2200 on ebay used like mine
I've thought about a supercharger too but I'm not going to start this project until this summer most likely. Ill keep in touch though I have totally decided on what I'm doing yet lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pump gas works fine for a daily driver.

Where are you going to school?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pump gas works fine for a daily driver.

Where are you going to school?
I'm planning on going to oregon state
And another question what is your suggestion on the whole wastegate and BOV deal, run both? Wastegate only? What do you think

·
Registered
641 Posts
Run both. They each perform a different function. The wastegate bleeds off exhaust pressure to limit boost to a set point. The BOV bleeds off excess charge pipe pressure when the throttle flap shuts and the turbo is still spinning at 100,000rpm.

Oregon State is a good school. I'm only about 45min away.

·
1,999 Posts
Wastegate and bov are key pieces to a turbo setup.

I would highly consider running an intercooler with pump gas. The cheap ebay one I used kept intake temps just a few degrees above ambient temp.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I’m still thinkin I’d like to turbo my 3.5, 7-8 psi, 91 octane, daily driver. I’d like it to be reliable, and more for looks than high HP. Although an extra 50-60 hp would be very welcomed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Run both. They each perform a different function. The wastegate bleeds off exhaust pressure to limit boost to a set point. The BOV bleeds off excess charge pipe pressure when the throttle flap shuts and the turbo is still spinning at 100,000rpm.

Oregon State is a good school. I'm only about 45min away.
I'm most likely gunna be up there next year and bringing my truck so hopefully Ill be able to get this project done before I leave. :th_woot:

Wastegate and bov are key pieces to a turbo setup.

I would highly consider running an intercooler with pump gas. The cheap ebay one I used kept intake temps just a few degrees above ambient temp.
Any suggestions on how much money a good Wastegate and bov would cost? And why an intercooler? would meth/ water not be able to keep everything cool enough? Or what

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
That Bosch piece was factory equipment on a bunch of OEM turbo cars........its a super reliable piece......and more importantly, cost effective for what you want

·
1,999 Posts
I never had any problems with my xs power wastegate $65....blow off valve, you can get anyone you choose.

Water/meth you only want to set at the higher levels of boost to make it safer. I believe I had mine set that it didn't spray until around 10lbs...

So intercooler will make it much better for daily driving. Unless you are going WOT everywhere you go...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts