Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to r&r my 3.5 (possibly with a 3.7 from an 07 if I can find one) my truck is a 2004 crew cab 4x4 with a tuff country 4” lift. I have been thumbing through the 355 for about a week getting great info. I just have a couple questions.
1, I will be pulling engine only without trans and have to be able to roll the truck back and forth in my garage so can the engine be pulled without messing with front axle?
2. Is there a special tool to get the top transmission bolts out, and a tool needed to remove the fuel lines.
Thanks guys I’ve done a couple engine r&r’s on Toyota a few years back so I hav e basic knowledge, by no means a pro!

·
Registered
129 Posts
You will have to drop the front axle for the oil pan to clear. I'd leave it in neutral or remove the driveshafts and chock the tires.

Disconnect the wiring at the PCM and leave attached to the engine.

When I replaced my tranny the last time, I attacked from under with a bunch of extensions and a u joint on the socket. Don't recall having one on the impact side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finished the engine replacement on my truck, I put a 3.5 out of a 2006 in and had to use the fuel rail off my old engine? But al seems to running well so far. From all I read hear I thought they didn’t change that until 2007. I used the harness off my old engine. Also I was able remove it without messing with the front axle, I just unbolted drive shafts and slid the tranny back a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice!

Planning on doing mine as one unit- trans and engine together. Do you think it's doable without lowering the front diff, or better to do separate? Removed mine from my parts truck as 1 unit but the front end was gone so I pulled straight out where the radiator would be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the reason I didn’t have to mess with the differential was because I have a 4” lift. It wasn’t hard to marry them up in the truck but if you do you will definitely need about two feet of extensions to secure the tranny bolts. And you will need the offset 18ml for the torque converter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts