Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

281 - 286 of 286 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If there is an ID tag on the engine, either on the lower left side of the block or on the aft left corner of the camshaft cover it will have the build info. Look for a 10 digit number starting with a T. The second and third digits will be the build year i.e. "T 07 xxx xxxx".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lucky...still not sure how you found that. Nothing like that around from car-part. all 1,200 or more.
I am a 2006 Hummer H3 owner. The 3.5 threw a rod one week after purchase. I saw a reference to this site re: 3.7 swap on a Hummer forum. It appears that most everything would be the same as in this swap but..Does anyone here have any insights? Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put a 3.7 in my 2005. Been working good for over a year.

I used my computer, wires and sensors from my original engine. Need to swap the fuel rail. Return system vs no return.

I used the 3.7 valve cover and coils. The coil has different shape, so need to stick w 3.5 valve cover and coil, or use the 3.7 cover and coils.

The exhaust ports are different sizes, I did a poor port match job w grinder to help get the 3.5 manifold holes to match the 3.7 better.

Only issue I remember was my 3.7 came from a 2WD and my truck is 4WD. I did not realize the oil pan was different shape until I tried to raise the front axel in place. I had to pull engine back out and then swap the oil pans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a 3.7 in my 2005. Been working good for over a year.

I used my computer, wires and sensors from my original engine. Need to swap the fuel rail. Return system vs no return.

I used the 3.7 valve cover and coils. The coil has different shape, so need to stick w 3.5 valve cover and coil, or use the 3.7 cover and coils.

The exhaust ports are different sizes, I did a poor port match job w grinder to help get the 3.5 manifold holes to match the 3.7 better.

Only issue I remember was my 3.7 came from a 2WD and my truck is 4WD. I did not realize the oil pan was different shape until I tried to raise the front axel in place. I had to pull engine back out and then swap the oil pans.
Did you use a 2007 3.7?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes.

I forget the difference, but 2008 and up use different sensors that don't work w older PCM.

There is talk of that on this site about that somewhere.

281 - 286 of 286 Posts