Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if the 3.7 heads will bolt up and work without problems on a 3.5? what would be the potential issues of trying this? Is everything but the exhaust ports (and hardened valve seats) the same?

·
0 Posts
Re: 3.7 heads on 3.5?

I was thinking about this too...except for the 2.8 and 2.9...I know the valvecover is way different...

P

·
0 Posts

does anyone know if the 3.7 heads will bolt up and work without problems on a 3.5? what would be the potential issues of trying this? Is everything but the exhaust ports (and hardened valve seats) the same?
well i dont know 2 much, but isnt the 5th cylinder a bigger bore? which would cause a 3.5cylinder and piston to be connected to a 3.7 spec bored head.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

well i was pretty sure the 3.7 is bigger bore.. which would stop the 3.5 from bolting up correctly wouldnt it?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
would there be a decent diff if you had yours bored out? might not be too expensive and still worth it. i have no idea just a thought.

they should make a stroker kit for the 3.5s....mmm..

my buddy and his dad just made thier jeeps 4.0 into a 4.7 stroker and its got serious sack now.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would there be a decent diff if you had yours bored out? might not be too expensive and still worth it. i have no idea just a thought.

they should make a stroker kit for the 3.5s....mmm..

my buddy and his dad just made thier jeeps 4.0 into a 4.7 stroker and its got serious sack now.
thats what i was lookin to do was possibly get mine ported/polished (or a junkyard set of 3.5/3.7 heads) of course only the 3.7 heads if they would fit... i have a friend who says hes got a friend that works at a shop that does port/polish and may be able to get me a hookup shaweet!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
def gonna need to dyno the results on this one if it works out. good luck!

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
def gonna need to dyno the results on this one if it works out. good luck!
no kidding... my friend works for a local place and wants to throw me up on the dyno for some stock runs and trying out some different combos with the stock set up.. (muffler off, etc) and then as mods come throw it up there again to see what i get out of it

·
0 Posts
I'm really curious to the difference between the head on the 2.8 and 2.9 along with the 3.5 and the 3.7...i'm having problems finding anything on the interwebs...

P

·
0 Posts
I remember reading something about the 3.7l advantages over the 3.5l . If i find it ill post it for ya to read.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know the 3.7 has bigger exhaust ports for sure...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
In theory they should interchange. I don't think anybody really knows the full details of what's different between the two. I know on the 3.7/2.9 head the valves are larger, the exhaust ports are larger, and the cam profiles are different. I don't know if they increased the combustion chamber volume for the larger bore or not though, if they did then the 3.7 head would lower the compression on a 3.5. :shrug:

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the big thing about maybe doing this is finding junkyard 3.5/3.7 heads

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
ive never even seen a 355 in a junkyard. i look all the time and have yet to hear/see of one around here. would like to get ahold of a few parts off one myself. like an xtreme with a mint cond. body kit lol

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
It'll be a few years before any 3.7 heads start popping up for sale anywhere. 3.5 heads are scarce as it is, and it's common to have those replaced. To buy all the stuff to "build" a 3.7 head with new parts (valves/springs/cam/head/etc.) it would probably be $2k+ pretty easily. Since you can already find 3.7 pullouts for around that price or less this really doesn't seem like a very good option, may as well just get the fresh engine and larger displacement. It'd probably be quicker to swap the whole engine as well. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
if the valves are larger, they may be too big for the bore on the 3.5L engine. Like if you tried to put L92 heads on a LS1...it wouldn't work. a pull out 3.7 would be a much easier and safer way to go. and probably end up cheaper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts