Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought 3.73 gears with a g80 locker for my old truck but since then I have totaled it and these gears and locker were never put in. I got them from a fellow member named pittman. They have approximately 50,000 miles on them and I'm asking $290 shipped to your door. They are for the rear and are out of a 2007 Z71.

·
Norse god of maintenance
113 Posts
Too bad it's not 4.10

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
So this is for a 3.73 G80? Is it the whole axle or just the differential? How hard is it to swap the diffs on these things?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's not a difficult job. If you're staying with your original ratio, or if it's already a 3.73, then you can either swap the crown gear over t the locker, or even just drop it in with the installed gear on. Keep your spacers to their original sides, and compare the lash before and after. I've done many, and never had a problem as long as I kept the spacers in their original spot.

That's a good deal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's just the differential, not the whole axle. I have no idea how hard it is to swap the gears as I never got a chance too. But it can't be too hard.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
It's not a difficult job. If you're staying with your original ratio, or if it's already a 3.73, then you can either swap the crown gear over t the locker, or even just drop it in with the installed gear on. Keep your spacers to their original sides, and compare the lash before and after. I've done many, and never had a problem as long as I kept the spacers in their original spot.

That's a good deal.
I'd be swapping from a non-locker 3.42, does that make it more difficult?

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I thought it took axle housing and chunk to have a G 80... ???

·
Registered
409 Posts
The G80 is the carrier. It holds the ring gear, and houses the spider gears.

If you want to do a full gear and G80 swap you should probably replace the bearings as well ($50-60).

Alternatively, you could unbolt the G80 and replace the factory carrier and voila - you have a locker.

That said, a driveline shop is best at doing the install to get things adjusted just right.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Skizzo it'd be a pretty simple swap for you of your running 3.42s. Just bolt your ring gear to the g80 and reassemble. Check backlash before and after but as long as you use the same shims you should be fine. I swapped from 3.73 to 4.11 and used all the original shims in my old diff and it all worked out fine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree. Parts are machined much more precisely these days. Quite often you can get away with the same shims and life is easy.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I've beat on his truck enough I think lol. I did get more cutting discs for my angle grinder.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I recently bought 3.73 gears with a g80 locker for my old truck but since then I have totaled it and these gears and locker were never put in. I got them from a fellow member named pittman. They have approximately 50,000 miles on them and I'm asking $325 shipped to your door. They are for the rear and are out of a 2007 Z71.
how much just for locker???

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
So you don't have to swap the housing to ne a G80 ???

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
As was stated by Gway you don't need to replace the whole axle assembly. You only need to replace the carrier or center section or whatever you want to call it. For those who haven't done this before, remember the ring gear bolts are right hand thread.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Nice tip..
Did not know that !!! Thanx !!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts