Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 3.7L 08-12 and doing the make it a 2007 mod so it fits in a 2005 truck...got cylinder head off after I found loose rod cap on 5th cyl of yard motor. Question: I have nearly destroyed the (2) cylinder head alignment dowels stuck in their recesses in the block. What is the trick here in getting them out? Thanks in advance.

Also this mod is being done to replace 3.5L i5 with slight rod knock. Clean motor, ran good when pulled. No smoking, idled great just knocked when started, quieter while running but could hear it was knocking in the bottom. Anyone want it? 2005 3.5L 180mi? If not will do full rebuild and sell. Tks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just a thought on the dowels - heat is always a friend. I'd get a steel hex nut that is just about the same size as the dowel and MIG weld the nut to the dowel. Then throw a wrench on it just as it stopped glowing red and twist it out. This works for threaded studs - why not a dowel.

BTW, where are you located WRT the 3.5 engine? My 3.5 is officially shot, and I'm looking for engine replacement options for my 2005.

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought on the dowels - heat is always a friend. I'd get a steel hex nut that is just about the same size as the dowel and MIG weld the nut to the dowel. Then throw a wrench on it just as it stopped glowing red and twist it out. This works for threaded studs - why not a dowel.

BTW, where are you located WRT the 3.5 engine? My 3.5 is officially shot, and I'm looking for engine replacement options for my 2005.

Ken
Tks I will give thst a try. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ken
Motor located in Augusta. GA
where are you located WRT the 3.5 engine?
Augusta, GA
where are you located WRT the 3.5 engine?
I am located in Augusta, GA.

·
Registered
394 Posts
that's not a practical round-trip for me. There's a local bone yard here with 5 engines, but its always better to get one from a person who knows the engine. thanks anyway!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm in Savannah Georgia and even though my '04 3.5 is running great, it has 244,000 miles on it and I've been thinking about picking up a complete spare if I stumble across one. What do you want for it as-is? Since it's not very good boating weather, I need a project to keep me out of trouble!
Let me know what works for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pulling it tomorrow (Sunday, 21st Feb). The 3.7 is in the machine shop getting crank turned. I will take 1k for this running motor. Yes it has a knock in the bottom but was running down the road 3 wks ago no smoke and strong. Ca show video of it running. Seeing used motors in good shape? are near 3k..
My plan was that if I could not get a 3rd of its "runs good" value, I would pull it down, build it from the bottom up, rods, mains, crank turned, rings, oil pump, water pump. Timing chains front and rear, gaskets, valve job and sell it for 3k to 4k. Hell, im doing same for 3.7L right now, why not the 3.5L? I know. Sounds ridiculous does it not? Who wouldn't want to bolt in a completely rebuilt motor with real hopes of getting 100k 200k miles out of her? LMN interest in used motor or call "Augusta, Engine" in Augusta, GA and verify current build on 3.7L for Greg Tripp. 3.5L could come as soon as I get it to them. :) Sorry for book.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Let me chew on that price a little. I know it's a good price and don't pass on any other offers. I've already got an '01 supercharged Pontiac Bonneville project going on and I probably need to wrap that up first before I get ready to take my truck apart. Won't you need to keep some parts from the '05 motor to make the '08 motor work? Like the valve cover and throttle body? It's been a while since I read about the differences between the two, but seems like there were differences in fuel delivery and PCV systems. I'm sure you know what you're getting into, but just wanted to know what parts may not be included in the '05 motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts