Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A lot of people are going to hear about this one. The news is a few days old now, but it is starting to spread across the Internet.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm not really sure what GM's legal responsibilities in this case are, if any. I suppose the vehicle is covered by a warranty. If the transmission failed, they would replace it, free of charge. If the alternator failed, and burned down the truck, well, you might think they have some responsibility to fix the issue. However, if the owner made an insurance claim, the insurance company will replace the truck. It would obviously not make sense then for GM to replace the truck as well. If you could get two new vehicles (one from insurance, one from the manufacturer) then, vehicles would suspiciously catch on fire all the time.

I'm not really sure why the owner feels he is out $5,000, and why he expects GM to just give him $5,000. Losing contents in the vehicle sucks. If the value is great enough, it would make sense to file a claim with the owner's home insurance.

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
do you think he will part out? I am looking for some tail lights......too soon?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not really sure what GM's legal responsibilities in this case are, if any. I suppose the vehicle is covered by a warranty. If the transmission failed, they would replace it, free of charge. If the alternator failed, and burned down the truck, well, you might think they have some responsibility to fix the issue. However, if the owner made an insurance claim, the insurance company will replace the truck. It would obviously not make sense then for GM to replace the truck as well. If you could get two new vehicles (one from insurance, one from the manufacturer) then, vehicles would suspiciously catch on fire all the time.

I'm not really sure why the owner feels he is out $5,000, and why he expects GM to just give him $5,000. Losing contents in the vehicle sucks. If the value is great enough, it would make sense to file a claim with the owner's home insurance.
I feel that GM should at least do something for the guy, maybe not the down payment since he will get a new truck out of it but at least something.

Maybe this was a one off thing, or maybe there will be recalls on the vehicle now.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
This discussion can go sooo many ways.

GM can make an offer as good faith to make their name look good. But if they do make an offer that can be viewed somewhat as assuming guilt. Then how much is too littl/too much. "What, that amount is an insult because your bank account is fat, so pay up."

I foresee this as an insurance claim. The liabilities should not be altered because of vehicle age. When you have a vehicle spontaneously catch fire that is not new, it's on the evening news then gone. And insurance will pick it up.
GM may want to dissect the vehicle for R&D.

I don't know how the owner can part it out - he won't own it to part it.
Otherwise he will receive the replacement vehicle as well as benefits (if you can call it that) of being able to salvage what he wanted from the vehicle for his own personal reasons.

The comments posted behind the article are amusing. Lots of personal opinion spoke out there without knowing any facts.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Out of curiosity.. If he did not call his insurance, what then would GM's responsibilities be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guy's I'm in the auto industry and if they do anything it is claiming responsible for the fire. They will let it blow over and do a cost analysis to find if there is a recall or saftey builtin once they find out there is a real problem.

·
Premium Member
18,004 Posts
This is most likley why we now have a hold on all Colorados that we have ordered. We have two due to use and were advised they will be held for 4-6 weeks for inspection.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
If they don't do something I think it looks crappy on them. When you drive off the line unless you have gap he may still owe his deductible plus depreciation, not to mention the trade in/down payment he was out. More than likely if nothing on the truck has been altered the insurance company will go after GM. Why should they be out $30k+ over someone else's mistake. I know there are fans boys everywhere here but I was relieved the day I seen mine leave with someone else behind the wheel and a chunk of cash in my hand. Given it would have gave me less trouble if I had left it stock, the truck needed way more attention than a 7 year old vehicle with 110k miles should.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Either way...... brand new truck just don't burn down.

You know the insurance company checked for foul play or liability on the policy holder.....so that only leaves GM on the hook

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The insurance company will definitely have a private investigator check it out and if they can prove GM is at fault they will seek reimbursement. No insurance company is going to pay for a truck if they can point the finger at someone else.

It might not also be GM's fault completely, they outsource ALOT of the parts now especially the electrical systems. This could be a faulty product they purchased that they can now pass the blame elsewhere which is why they will also investigate before promising anything.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
But even if GM out sources, It is still their name on the truck and there for they are still responsible.

Definitely they approve the sources, but they normally have agreements where the companies "certify" their parts to GM so if something goes wrong they assume some of the liability.

The company I work for has a lot of vendor agreements and they actually have the vendor send paperwork that stays with the part and if it causes a failure they have to pick up the cost of whatever it damages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this is the right section or if has been posted yet.

Here is the story
Hi I'm in Sacramento, California and my 2005 Colorado , just a wire harness short and I caught fire underneath and to gas tank area , just driving down the road and saw the smoke pulled over and flames came from under the truck burning my legs, was able to grab my stuff and realized I only had PLPD insurance and could not let it burn down so I emptied every water bottle I had, someone came by with fire extinguisher and a hose and helped me , but it was dripping Gas and could have blown, so now have to pull body and replace wire harness or part it out , but sucks just the same

1 - 19 of 19 Posts