Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm sorry if questions like this get old but I'm just trying to get a good answer so I can go ahead with some purchases. I have 2006 4x4 z85 crew cab. My stock tires and my door sticker recommendation are 235/75/r15 but I'm looking to put bigger tires such as 31/10.5/r15. What I want to know if I can fit those with out a lift with a 15x8 wheels with a backspacing of 3.625 and a offset of - 22. If I do need a lift how much lift do I need in the front? Or should I go with a 265/75 tire so I don't have to lift. I just don't want to waist the money on a lift if I don't need it or crank my tb to much. I really want the 31s tho so I can get the duratracs since they don't make them in a 265/75 and there isn't to many options in that size either. Thanks in advance for your opinion/suggestions and help.

*I know they stick out quite a bit but I have z71 fender flares to put on yet to cover some tire up a bit

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I did not calculate if -22 offset is 3.6" but I'll trust you on this one (one value equals the other-you don't need to say both). I think 3.6" wheels are a total mistake, but I guess that is the new look these days. In contrast, my wheels are I believe +18 (40mm more inward than your choice) and I stick out an inch beyond my flares with 265mm wide tires.

31x10.5 and 265/75-15 (30.6) are almost exactly the same size.
With that offset I do not think you will clear either size on a stock height 4x4 Z85. That wheel is going to stick out so darn far that your first interference point will be at the leading edge of the tire at the bumper as you steer. Referring to the first point of contact when the wheel is turned a little. Hope that makes sense.

My suggestion is for you to crank the torsion bars to get the truck sitting near level. The total cost of doing that is the cost of a breaker bar, a socket and a front end alignment.

I have an inch taller tire. In retrospect I should have gone no larger than a 31". The power that has been robbed from my Z85 is more than I expected it would be. No power in overdrive to pull any grades on the highway. Sluggish acceleration (requiring more fuel) off the line from traffic lights. I do mostly city driving, so I am always accelerating away.

My city mileage is well under 15mpg average. I have hills all around me which I suspect you do as well.

That is just my opinion from driving the truck for 2 years with the tire size I have. The offset, in my opinion, will look like a mistake that you were stuck with. However, I don't think anybody will agree with me. The younger generation likes that look.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm worried about and the offset is a mistake of Mines.. I feel different about it every day.. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't.. I'm probably better off going to stock rims.. But I do like the bigger tires look cuz these look way too small for my liking

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Again, personal opinion. 10.5" tires on the factory 6.5" wheels are not my first choice.
I don't think a 6.5" wheel is in the 'approved' list of a tire manufacturer selling a 10.5" tire though.

Again, others will disagree.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Also, the factory wheel will be fairly tucked in (in appearance) to the Z71 flares you have to install.

An 8" wheel with backspace around 4.75" to 4.5" is the most common (with Z71 flares) - for whatever that's worth to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the factory wheel will be fairly tucked in (in appearance) to the Z71 flares you have to install.

An 8" wheel with backspace around 4.75" to 4.5" is the most common (with Z71 flares) - for whatever that's worth to you.
Thanks I guess I will have to get ride of these wheels either way.. I was just trying to stay with them. I understand what your saying

1 - 7 of 7 Posts