Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys long time no chat.

Checkin out the front diff with my boroscope and the ring looks chunked up.

short of long, thinking about going 4.10/11 whatever is offered but wondering if anyone has a electronic locker in their front or rears ?

If so... p/n's links would be great!

I'll be doing the install myself some night at work. Rear end shouldnt take me more than 45 minutes. Front end might take a bit longer :p

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You missed out I just sold my gears
shit happens lol.

looks like sgjurtista did the h3 drop in, had to make a customer bracket to stop the whole thing from turning over. simple enough. But finding a h3 locker used is going to be tough. Buying new im looking at like 600 and up plus still getting gears ect.

The rear i imagine cant be more than 300 bucks by now.. very common gearing. I see lots of links to sights but nothing with E-lockers.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just fyi the early s10 n caprices had same rear ring and pinion as our front diff. 7.6. U can buy used G80 from them all day on eBay for 250$ they have the same splines (28). I was about to do to that but I doubt the aluminum front diff and weak cvs could withstand the additional torque. H3s with front lockers had iron diffs

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just fyi the early s10 n caprices had same rear ring and pinion as our front diff. 7.6. U can buy used G80 from them all day on eBay for 250$ they have the same splines (28). I was about to do to that but I doubt the aluminum front diff and weak cvs could withstand the additional torque. H3s with front lockers had iron diffs
It won't be applying any additional torque to the case....

Its only distribution of torque equally over both axles.

If it can handle an open 4.10 it can handle a locked 4.10

Also the g80 is a 3.73 usually from factory ... inertia locker, which is what i have, and what i already blew up once in this damn truck

hard to find the g80 4.10

·
Registered
435 Posts
10 Bolt 7 5 G80 GM Posi s 10 Camaro SS 7 625 Firebird Impala LSD RS 28 Spline | eBay

That's what I was talking about.

I understand what a locker does. A G80 isn't a locker but limited slip. It will also add a lot of addition torque to the front axles bro. It will break shit for sure, that's y the H3s with lockers were cast iron. Not aluminum. But if u drive it easy then you might be fine. But if u drive it like that why do u even want a front locker

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a fan of the g80 at all...its a GRENADE, i'd rather go OPEN diff at this point.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Agreed. Aluminum front wouldn't handle a locker. Its the reason the H3s with front locker switched to cast iron.

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I complimented a front locker at one point also. I just regeared to 4.10 and left it open. Safer that way.
Hmmm....maybe 4.10/11's with a locker in the rear only would be a better plan. i found front ring n pinion for under 300 havent looked at rears

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
trutrac is the only other option available for our rears, and its a nice upgrade from the g80 .

for the front, ARB makes an Air Locker, but its big money, $1000. other than that, the H3 diff/locker is your only other option.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hmmm....maybe 4.10/11's with a locker in the rear only would be a better plan. i found front ring n pinion for under 300 havent looked at rears
Rock auto had USA standard ring and pinions for like 150$ for our trucks. They will b fine for a daily driver with minimal offroad abuse.

·
Ron Lopes
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trutrac is the only other option available for our rears, and its a nice upgrade from the g80 .

for the front, ARB makes an Air Locker, but its big money, $1000. other than that, the H3 diff/locker is your only other option.
Yeah not feeling the airlocker vibe.. hah....

You are trying to tell me the trutrac is the ONLY option besides open or g80 for our rear? no wayyyy cant be. its such a popular rear

Rock auto had USA standard ring and pinions for like 150$ for our trucks. They will b fine for a daily driver with minimal offroad abuse.
That might not be too bad... I could toss a ring and pinion in quickly and keep the g80 in there for now... take the front drive shaft out until I figure out what I want to do with that mess haha

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Sorry our rear is not popular. Colorado and trailblazers and their GMC equivalent are the only ones that have the AAM 8.0 I think. V8s have the 8.6

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Yeah... tires won't last long though

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yeah not feeling the airlocker vibe.. hah....

You are trying to tell me the trutrac is the ONLY option besides open or g80 for our rear? no wayyyy cant be. its such a popular rear

That might not be too bad... I could toss a ring and pinion in quickly and keep the g80 in there for now... take the front drive shaft out until I figure out what I want to do with that mess haha
quite honestly, the trutrac is more than enough given the actual capabilities of the stock differential... if your looking for a true locker, for the more serious rock crawling type of stuff, then consider swapping out your rear axle for something more stout and popular that will give you far better options not only on lockers but on gearing as well.

what are you plans for your truck? what do you do or plan on doing with it?

the air locker is probably the only type of locker i would run in our front end.. but quite honestly I dont believe our front ends to be stout enough to make a front locker reliable under any conditions...

so far, lift and tires, stock g80, airing down, 4low, a good spotter and a smart right foot have gotten me through anything ive ever needed to.. and my winch has saved my ass several times, that being said.. my advice is that if your serious about offroading and actually getting places, a winch is a better investment than any locker you could ever buy.

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
Popular rear? The jokes! They aren't that popular at all, 8.5/8.6 yeah, d44 yeah, 8.0 no.

There are no other options for lockers/LSD than what's already been mentioned. If you want options, swap the rear axle.

Locking the front opens up the opportunity to go kaboom. Forcing two weak things to spin together when they don't want to is a recipe for carnage.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts