Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find an old thread on it.. So I wanting to upgrade my rear axle to 4.10 from 3.73's I have a z85 with the non locker rear end and I was wondering if this would be the gear set that I would need. GM > GM 8.0 > R&P > AAM 40001438

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I am pretty sure just changing the gears won't get you a locker. You will need a locking differential along with the new gears if you want to have a locker. Also if you are 4wd you will need gears for the front too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry if my post was a little confusing I'm just wondering if those would be the gears I would need for a non g80 axle. although it would be awesome to get a locker that easy :p And i'm only 2wd.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
G80 or not the gears are for the axle housing. Not what style of carrier you have like dana 44s ect. Carriers are all the same on ours. I'd get a tru trac for the rear since your pulling it apart.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
It's a gear posi. No clutches. That's what I'm running.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Shipping on just gears and locker wouldn't be too much.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I just changed to 410 gear at the start of the year and I will give you a word of advice. It is cheaper and easier to change the whole axle and front diff to ones that already have the gears and locker in it. I got both my front diff with 410s and whole rear axle with 410s for $1000 and that includes shipping to my house. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
It depends on if you can do the work yourself of not.

·
Registered
409 Posts
4.10s and the trutrac was the best upgrade I have done so far. Do it!

I agree, you could save money by just getting an axle with 4.10s.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You have a snowballs chance in Miami to find a 4.10 rear axle with a tru trac.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nope, definitely not going to find an axle with a trutrac. Though me might be able to find 4.10s with a locker, but I don't think that ever got offered in the shorter axle width so a re-gear and locker upgrade might be the only option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts