Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering how often everyone drives in 4 Hi in winter conditions, particularly those who live in northern areas.
The last 2 trucks I had were Silverados and both had the auto setting which works similar to awd so I kept it in that for the majority of winter and only used 4 Hi or Lo when things got hairy. I don't wanna put too much strain on the drive train by driving in 4 Hi too much but when the roads are icy 2wd just doesn't cut it here lol

So I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts or experiences are on driving in 4 Hi for long periods.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Only use 4hi when you need it. If you have traction, 4 hi will damage the 4x4 system. The front wheels must be free to rotate at different speeds, via slippage. You can as long as you are driving straight, but it is not advised to do this for long periods of time.
Driving ON the snow in 4hi for a long time is perfectly fine as the tire will slip if/when necessary during those curves and twists in the road.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
If there's snow on the ground I use it. If the roads are clear or close to it I don't bother though. If you want to avoid 4wd as much as possible just put some weight in the bed, it makes all the difference in the world with the trucks since they rake the nose forward and take weight off the rear with the factory stance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used it yesterday for the first time, just because I wanted to test it out on an icy parking lot. Didn't need it though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts