Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the middle of installing a rancho lift. The bad part is that I had a friend help me at the beginning of the installation and marked the torsion bars left and right but did not make a reference mark on them to reinstall. So I'm lost because I don't know how to put then back in.when I install they won't load up the bolt screw all the way down. but I can't get a load. Please help....

T

·
0 Posts
First lift your front end as much as you can (one side at a time, dont forget safety by using jack stand), your wheel must be not touching the floor. then install your torsion bar (marked L and R on them) and your key (combination) to the point that you just have enough thread of the screw to go in the key. So from that point you have the possibility to load up your screw to its maximum. (I hope it is understandable! lol). Do the same on other side, once done first side. And adjust the height on each side to have your 4" lift you paid for.

T

·
0 Posts
That is how I did for my Rancho kit. It is not explained in the manual. just take your time to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't remember reading about any indexing of the torsion bar. If it required indexing I think there should be alignment marks. I hope for your sake there aren't any.
I can understand in theory how assembling it incorrectly index could be a problem. However, aftermarket keys are sold every day to gain lift. Key manufacturers would go out of business if all we needed to do is rotate our torsion bar in the LCA to gain lift. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I don't think the torsion bar itself cares what way it's put in as long as the key is indexed properly in relation to that. Since it's hexed or however many sides I'd say there's probably more than 1 way it'll go together. I may be wrong. But I never pulled one all the way off. Just the torsion key. I'd say tho if you find the right combo like Tahitiansoul said you'll be just fine.

T

·
0 Posts
Max them. No problem of if you dont feel confident with this advice, I can't help more than that.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
The instructions say alignment marks should have been made on the torsion bar and LCA. Then install torsion bar relocator and align the hex opening of the relocator as close to the original LCA bushing as possible and transfer the alignment mark to the relocator. Match the mark on the TB to the mark on the relocator and insert... :shrug: install key and adjustment bolt with same amount of thread showing as before removal.

this how I did mine

http://www.gorancho.com/downloads/install-instructions/Rancho_Installation_Instructions_For_RS6569B_Revision_A.pdf

shouldn't need to max them unless they were already maxed

T

·
0 Posts
I don't have my tbars cranked, I just have 4" rancho with their shocks provided in the kit.
Is it ok now for your torsion bars?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
RS5610 are the rancho shocks for the front... 4 inch lift with or without crank

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm on a Rancho 4" and have the tbs cranked 2.5" afterwards. I'm on the shocks that came with the lift kit, and there's no problems here

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'd suggest taking care with your torsion bar cranking. You've purchased a good kit to lift and maintain control and ride quality. If you crank your bars a lot you're just going to end up with a taller truck that rides like any other torsion bar lifted truck -not so good. Crank as much as necessary without getting carried away.

Also, Greg answered your shock question in post #13.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i will say this, i'm not real sure what the difference is between the kits (rancho/skyjacker) but the 4" skyjacker lift shocks were to short to function properly with the rancho kit i have. I bought the 4" skyjacker shocks to replace my rancho's because they were cheaper. While installing i literally had about only and 1" of (downward travel) piston stroke from ride height so i made up some extensions. I found this extremely odd but just a cautionary tale

1 - 18 of 18 Posts