Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so my transmission finally went out at 175k. I’m looking to sell the truck in the next month. So I was thinking about getting a used transmission from a salvage yard to swap it instead of paying thousands for a rebuilt one. The issue I’m having is I thought that the transmission was universal between the years of our trucks. But after talking to people at the salvage yard they say they are not the same part. Is there a difference between them?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats exactly what I was doing. First I just looked for 04 Z71 4X4 and nothing came up for the tranny. Then I saw the show interchangeable parts button. Found some low mile 4L60E's. But then when I call the Yard for more info on it they tell me it doesn't fit. Different years. Or its meant for 2 wheel drive packages. Woulda thought doing just a straight swap with the same Trans there wouldn't be these issues?? Unless I'm oblivious to something thats different.

· Registered
422 Posts
It's very likely they are different, as the bellhousing is different for other GM vehicles even though the transmission is the same. Now if you're apt on how to swap a bellhousing on a transmission, then by all means, go for the different model 4L60E.

Otherwise, keep looking is my humble suggestion... Try looking a state over, within a reasonable drive away I'd say. Got any family out of state? Might be time to take a road trip then, haha.

Good luck and I feel your pain man... I just replaced my clutch and bought a new manual tranny for about 350 bucks a few months ago, got away with whole new transmission for under 800 bucks!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I found some awesome info online and I think I understand what the difference is between the models and years. Ill post the link.

As far as 2WD and 4WD there is just a 6 bolt adapter on the tail to connect to the transfer case.

Also, 200-2005 the case connector is Green. But in 2006 they changed it to black. The 2006+ have an extra wiring harness for an additional input speed shaft sensor.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I decided to rebuild her. I bought an upgrade rebuild kit from Maddog Transmissions. Im good friends with the owners nephew and he helped me put it all back together.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV V8 5.3 4 wheel drive 4L60E transmission and I want to know if it can be swapped for the 4L60E in a 2007 Canyon GMC And what would be the best video to watch for the swap to show you step-by-step

· Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

As with most anything automotive, the answer would be yes, if you have the time and money. The short answer is that it will not be plug and play. The 2007 transmission has an internal ISS (Input Speed Sensor) that reports to the PCM. The ISS signal is used to determine shift points. The 2004 Envoy apparently doesn't need that, but the Canyon PCM is going to be looking for the signal. Not sure what issues would turn up. Other than tha ISS 2 wire circuit, the round electrical connectors and the wiring in them, are the same.

Also, if the transmission came from a V-8 equipped vehicle, the chances of it bolting to an Atlas engine in a Canyon, are slim to none. If the Envoy had a 4.2 it would be a different story.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys so my transmission finally went out at 175k. I’m looking to sell the truck in the next month. So I was thinking about getting a used transmission from a salvage yard to swap it instead of paying thousands for a rebuilt one. The issue I’m having is I thought that the transmission was universal between the years of our trucks. But after talking to people at the salvage yard they say they are not the same part. Is there a difference between them?
Welcome to the Nation. As with most anything automotive, the answer would be yes, if you have the time and money. The short answer is that it will not be plug and play. The 2007 transmission has an internal ISS (Input Speed Sensor) that reports to the PCM. The ISS signal is used to determine shift points. The 2004 Envoy apparently doesn't need that, but the Canyon PCM is going to be looking for the signal. Not sure what issues would turn up. Other than tha ISS 2 wire circuit, the round electrical connectors and the wiring in them, are the same. Also, if the transmission came from a V-8 equipped vehicle, the chances of it bolting to an Atlas engine in a Canyon, are slim to none. If the Envoy had a 4.2 it would be a different story.
Hey i got a 2004 and tried to put all my insides from my 20074l60e so it wouldnt work the case is different so the oil pump is different it takes o ring were my 2007is a hard seal. Watch valve body too i noticed differences too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts