Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a ls1 in my 05 4door Colorado with a 4l80e, just seeing if I could use one out another vehicle or get a custom, I want a one piece driveshaft. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
391 Posts
youre going to need to measure....

is there one that might line up perfectly? ....maybe, but you are diving into somewhat uncharted territory since there are not many guys that have a 4l80e in our trucks.

not saying it hasnt been done or that it could not be done.

your best bet would be to find a 1500 truck/suburban that was 2wd with 1330 size u-joints and then get that driveshaft cut down and balanced to whatever size you need.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
just so you know long one pc drive shafts are limited to speed/rpm
that's why the 5.3 ZQ8's are 2 pc. it has something to do with
harmonics.

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
good news!

you can use the stock shaft and just change the yoke to a th400/4l80 yoke. i got the long and just cut it down. you may be able use the short out of the box.

my 2 piece is still under mine.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
just so you know long one pc drive shafts are limited to speed/rpm
that's why the 5.3 ZQ8's are 2 pc. it has something to do with
harmonics.
That should only be with the trucks with aluminum shafts. I rarely see steel ones catch a resonance. Aluminum though they will sing like a banshee when they do, my dads diesel van does this around 70mph.

It's weird what GM did with our driveshafts. I have seen a truck identical to mine with an aluminum shaft and my truck came with a steel one from the factory. Seems like they used a few manufacturers to produce them who used different materials.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the 4L80 as well, I took a aluminum shaft from an Express or something and cut it down but side by side with the original steel shaft I could have just changed the yoke. Rather have the aluminum shaft though ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
good news!

you can use the stock shaft and just change the yoke to a th400/4l80 yoke. i got the long and just cut it down. you may be able use the short out of the box.

my 2 piece is still under mine.
Question for you about this... trying to figure out u-joints/yoke lengths with this... any insight?

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have a custom aluminum 4" in my 2 door. id personnally have one made. the oem ones have issues due to them being thin wall. mine cost 482 bucks and they dared me to break it knowing im shooting for 1khp and actively been pushing 750 plus whp for over 3k street miles and several track outings. just spend the coin and save the safety risk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts