Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving about 15 mph and switched from 4hi to 2hi. There was a loud "cluck" and lights began flashing followed by "service 4wd" on display. Now the lights are out and nothing happens when I hit buttons. The lights come on when I start my truck but then go off. Suggestions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
disconnect the battery for about 15 min and see what happens. I'm pretty sure when switching from 4X4 to 2X4 or vise versa it should be under 4 mph or better yet parked or neutral

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I guess just try the battery. Our BCM gets confused a LOT and it needs a little 'reboot' if you will.

Nothing wrong with shifting the way you did -it's just an odd quirk. Or the actuator may be failing. There are a few little complications with 4x4 from time to time on these trucks. I heard the service warning message complaint fairly often.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
I would get under the truck and give the front wheel drive shaft a good inspection and also check cv axles. Should be no loud clunk when switching from 4hi to 2hi at any speed

·
Registered
486 Posts
disconnect the battery for about 15 min and see what happens. I'm pretty sure when switching from 4X4 to 2X4 or vise versa it should be under 4 mph or better yet parked or neutral
You can shift into 4 wheel high under 50 mph. ( shift on the fly) I'm trying to find it in the owners manual, with no luck. Most times I shift into or out of 4 wheel high, I am going at least 25. You can't drive around and make sharp turns in 4 wheel high on dry roads. That's bad. Even just a wet road isn't good. Snow is GREAT! Mud is Great! I have shifted on the highway, going into snow storms at 45mph. Everything still works fine at 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the battery unhooked for 24 hours and no luck. Where exactly is the actuator?

I guess just try the battery. Our BCM gets confused a LOT and it needs a little 'reboot' if you will.

Nothing wrong with shifting the way you did -it's just an odd quirk. Or the actuator may be failing. There are a few little complications with 4x4 from time to time on these trucks. I heard the service warning message complaint fairly often.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
I doubt it's the actuator. .. but located on the front differential it will have wire harness coming out of it. A simple Google search will tell you where to look.

That fact that it made a clunk noise going from 4hi to 2hi is bad. What kind of surface were you driving on in 4hi?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was driving on a gravel road. any other suggestions?

I doubt it's the actuator. .. but located on the front differential it will have wire harness coming out of it. A simple Google search will tell you where to look.

That fact that it made a clunk noise going from 4hi to 2hi is bad. What kind of surface were you driving on in 4hi?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Did you have a look at the front drive shaft and cv axles?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Does it drive in 2wd? If yes any noises?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Well if the cv axles and drive shaft look fine and it won't go into 4hi or 4lo then I'm guessing something internal has broken in transfer case and/or front differential.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts