Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this on Instagram but cant seem to find it anywhere posted here on the forum, so sorry if its a repost.... I cant believe my eyes, its finally happening, 4wd Long Travel on a 355.... haha.

:salute:

Attachments

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
They sleeved the cv though and maintained the stock inner which isn't a slick idea. They will not get enough travel out of that before either the joint gives or the front diff flexes from the stress.

Same deal with the tie rod, the inner has nowhere near enough travel for a safe long travel set-up. The weakest point is a turned down groove right next to the inner joint.

T

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the kit needs some improvement, but at least we have hope for 4wd owners.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They sleeved the cv though and maintained the stock inner which isn't a slick idea. They will not get enough travel out of that before either the joint gives or the front diff flexes from the stress.

Same deal with the tie rod, the inner has nowhere near enough travel for a safe long travel set-up. The weakest point is a turned down groove right next to the inner joint.
its in the making, id be willing to bet that the cv "sleeve" is a mock-up... and that a new axle would be made.

I see many many LT kits running stock inner tie-rods... im sure they get the job done.

anyways, im guessing they have not posted anything yet on the nation about this...

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
its in the making, id be willing to bet that the cv "sleeve" is a mock-up... and that a new axle would be made.

I see many many LT kits running stock inner tie-rods... im sure they get the job done.

anyways, im guessing they have not posted anything yet on the nation about this...

Every time my truck touches dirt, I bend a tie rod. I literally have a pile of them in my garage. That's with a 4" lift and stock travel. The previous 2wd LT kits all went full heim steering with clevis mounts off the rack.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Going to a full heim setup is not the end of the world, nor does it really break the bank to do.....is it a cheap mod? No, not really. But with anything worth while, I believe the adage is, "thou has to payeth if thou wants to playeth"......or something like that

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Going to a full heim setup is not the end of the world, nor does it really break the bank to do.....is it a cheap mod? No, not really. But with anything worth while, I believe the adage is, "thou has to payeth if thou wants to playeth"......or something like that
This was the first thing I read after I got to work today...it made me chuckle.

And that's very true...a pair of heims and some clevises are about $300. And I'm sure if you let them know you wanted to go full heim they'd make the tie rods longer for you, or just sell you a complete setup for a good deal.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every time my truck touches dirt, I bend a tie rod. I literally have a pile of them in my garage. That's with a 4" lift and stock travel. The previous 2wd LT kits all went full heim steering with clevis mounts off the rack.

man... ive broken shocks, bent UCA, damaged hubs, never had a problem with my inner tie-rods ... guess ive been lucky then. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts