Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice a thump when they engage the trans. case into 4hi while moving? I just started noticing it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
how many miles on your truck? may be time for a fluid change?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Mine thumps lightly ( sometimes ) - it's as the gears engage. Other times no noise.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine thumps lightly ( sometimes ) - it's as the gears engage. Other times no noise.
Thats what I figured. I just noticed the noise yesterday. Once at 65mph, and once at 35mph. I wasn't really sweating it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a known issue. Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It sounds the same as the noise when I shift into 4LO and I have to stir the gear box to get it to shift.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I would assume this is somewhat normal, any play in the driveline between the transfer case and front wheels will cause it. You're going from the front wheels being pushed along to them pulling themselves. :shrug:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i never noticed anything going into 4 hi but i usually get some noise going into 4 lo

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
IDK, but are you supposed to do it at 65mph? i thought you had to be stopped so that the transfer case didn't jam the gears and fuck everything up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IDK, but are you supposed to do it at 65mph? i thought you had to be stopped so that the transfer case didn't jam the gears and fuck everything up.
4lo yes. 4hi no. That's why they call it shift on the fly. Good call though.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Anyone notice a thump when they engage the trans. case into 4hi while moving? I just started noticing it.
your first post says 4hi

4lo yes. 4hi no. That's why they call it shift on the fly. Good call though.
and then what? so did you shift into 4hi at 65 then? i don't really know shit about 4wd trucks that's why i ask.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Is it safe to drive in 4hi at 65? I was always told to keep it under 55.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Is it safe to drive in 4hi at 65? I was always told to keep it under 55.
i have done it by accident and drove like 200 miles in 4 hi..... i couldnt even tell i did like 55- 65 mph the whole way...

·
NW Surfrider
5,365 Posts
ive generally carry 4Hi upto about 65, I figure anything after that I dont need it, or conditions are shitty and I need to slow down... I will slow down to about 30MPH when I shigt it in though...i dont think running fast and engagin could be good...

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
so what the fastest recomended for 4LO. I try to keep it under 10.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Try backing of the gas a bit when you push the button, till it locks in 4hi. Seems to make an easier time for both front and rear drivetrains to match speed. If I don't back off I get a clunk. But lifting of the pedal for a second allows me to engage smooth as silk everytime.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
your first post says 4hi
Yeah, I got it ass backwards. Sorry.

You have to have the truck in Neutral with the parking brake engaged to shift into 4lo.

Try backing of the gas a bit when you push the button, till it locks in 4hi. Seems to make an easier time for both front and rear drivetrains to match speed. If I don't back off I get a clunk. But lifting of the pedal for a second allows me to engage smooth as silk everytime.
Good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

Our truck require less than 3 mph to shift into 4LO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts