Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 just turned 200,000 and I'm looking to do the '4x4 service' (transfer case, front and rear diff, and transmission).
I see the transfer case has a drain plug and for the transmission and rear differential, you take the covers all the way off to drain them.

What about the front diff? Is that a 'remove the cover to drain it' as well?

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
My '06 just turned 200,000 and I'm looking to do the '4x4 service' (transfer case, front and rear diff, and transmission).
I see the transfer case has a drain plug and for the transmission and rear differential, you take the covers all the way off to drain them.

What about the front diff? Is that a 'remove the cover to drain it' as well?
Not familiar with 4wd. The Service Manual says to remove drain plug. Suggestion: when servicing differentials, remove the fill plug first. If you drain the oil and then are unable to remove the fill plug, it will get tricky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not familiar with 4wd. The Service Manual says to remove drain plug. Suggestion: when servicing differentials, remove the fill plug first. If you drain the oil and then are unable to remove the fill plug, it will get tricky.
I haven't crawled under to look yet, but the owner's manual only refers to/shows a fill plug. (also, thanks for the tip)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2006 and have done this service, there is no drain plug on the rear diff, but if you wish, you can extract the oil out, or simply remove the cover. I removed the cover and it was pretty easy... you actually do not have to remove it, you can just loosen the bolts so that you can crack it open at the bottom to let the fluid out. I had bought a gasket, but never used it, just tightened it up and it never leaked. (have over 200,000 miles on it now).

For the tranny, unless you are changing the filter, I have done two different things. At 100,000, I removed the transmission cooling line and ran it a bit at a time to extract a few quarts at a time and replace them. After a few times doing this, you will see that the oil will come clean and you have effectively replaced it all.

The other method I use that I started at 150,000 miles is I vacuum extract oil from the transmission tube at every oil change (I change my oil at 3000 mile intervals) and get about 2 to 3 quarts out, and replace it. Others may disagree with this, but it has worked fine for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2006 and have done this service, there is no drain plug on the rear diff, but if you wish, you can extract the oil out, or simply remove the cover. I removed the cover and it was pretty easy... you actually do not have to remove it, you can just loosen the bolts so that you can crack it open at the bottom to let the fluid out. I had bought a gasket, but never used it, just tightened it up and it never leaked. (have over 200,000 miles on it now).

For the tranny, unless you are changing the filter, I have done two different things. At 100,000, I removed the transmission cooling line and ran it a bit at a time to extract a few quarts at a time and replace them. After a few times doing this, you will see that the oil will come clean and you have effectively replaced it all.

The other method I use that I started at 150,000 miles is I vacuum extract oil from the transmission tube at every oil change (I change my oil at 3000 mile intervals) and get about 2 to 3 quarts out, and replace it. Others may disagree with this, but it has worked fine for me.
thanks, but none of this answers my question about the FRONT diff...is there a drain plug?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Fill plug is a 15mm head
Drain plug is a 3/8 drive

Do remember to get the fill plug loose first. That is a good tip.

To fill the front diff, i run a vinyl hose down from the airbox area and hold the fill bottle there. If you have a pump, so you dont need to employ gravity, then you have an easier go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fill plug is a 15mm head
Drain plug is a 3/8 drive

Do remember to get the fill plug loose first. That is a good tip.

To fill the front diff, i run a vinyl hose down from the airbox area and hold the fill bottle there. If you have a pump, so you dont need to employ gravity, then you have an easier go.
Awesome. Thanks for this actual, useful info. There's a bunch of threads on the rear diff on here, but no good one on the front...because of you, now there is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.