Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gentlemen. Lets put on our thinking caps for a few minutes. I bought this Colorado new in 2012. This issue started a few months ago and continues to this day.
First thing in the morning, after truck sits overnight, or during the day when I'm at work, when I try to start the truck it makes a revolution or 2 and then hits hard like its hydraulically locked or timing is retarded and then may continue to crank and start or not start that time. If I turn key on, press accelerator pedal to the floor and start to crank, after it makes a few revolutions I let up on the pedal completely and the truck starts perfect. The truck has the VVT 5.3 with no mods at all. Battery is about a year old but tests good and does it even if I have a charger on it to make sure there is plenty of juice. Has anyone run into anything like this before or have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I have never, or yet, to experience anything like that on my 2010 (1st year for VVT) factory V8. Wonder if any fault codes are getting generated during the episodes. Maybe start by getting someone with a code reader and connect to the truck and check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned that. I have a Tech2 and have no codes at all.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Pressing the pedal to the floor before starting and then letting up during starting is only moving the throttle position sensor module that is attached to the pedal lever. It does not move anything under the hood. I received a 'known issue' notification from GM about a 'known problem' concerning this module on my truck. If and when it becomes defective it would send the truck into reduced power mode. It wasn't enough of a problem for GM to issue a safety recall, but enough to issue a special policy 11273, which extended the factory warranty for the issue. At 57,5xx miles, it did happen to my truck. My local Chevy dealer replaced GM p/n 19259452 (SL-N-SENSOR KIT) and 12589235 (SL-N-SEAL) under warranty. The service report indicated that system trouble code P2135 was also scanned.

Just throwing this out there because of your description concerning pedal position movement during starting. Thinking maybe you might be at the beginning stages of the module becoming defective. I am not a mechanic and I may be wrong. Take a look at that area and hopefully you will only find a loose wire harness connector or the mechanical connection to the pedal rod is worn and slightly out of alignment or a little lithium grease to lube the rod because it is sticking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts