Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to 355 Nation; I've been finding your info really handy over the past number of years, but I never got around to joining until now. Anyway, I plan to do a V8 swap into a 2006 Colorado 4x4, but I have been having trouble figuring out exactly what parts I need for the swap. I plan to use a 5.3 with the 4L60E that came stock with the Silverados, and retain my 4x4 system if at all possible. Now; can anyone make up a definite list of things that I need to make this swap work? Obviously CPP motor mounts, electric fans, a redone wiring harness, etc. But what about the throttle system, the transmission control system, and which ECU I need? If someone could tell me bluntly what parts I need to get around, I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
46 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to 355 Nation; I've been finding your info really handy over the past number of years, but I never got around to joining until now. Anyway, I plan to do a V8 swap into a 2006 Colorado 4x4, but I have been having trouble figuring out exactly what parts I need for the swap. I plan to use a 5.3 with the 4L60E that came stock with the Silverados, and retain my 4x4 system if at all possible. Now; can anyone make up a definite list of things that I need to make this swap work? Obviously CPP motor mounts, electric fans, a redone wiring harness, etc. But what about the throttle system, the transmission control system, and which ECU I need? If someone could tell me bluntly what parts I need to get around, I would be very grateful.
I'm new around here also, but I am currently doing a V8 swap and had the same questions as you a month ago. First of all, there are a lot of threads on doing the swap but most of them are old, but the information is good. Your biggest fried is CP Performance. They have everything you need as far as the swap goes.

The other part is finding a donor vehicle. I used "Abetterbid.com" (I think that's close enough to goggle) and found a wrecked, late model truck (2018) that had what I would wanted and bought it. I paid dearly for the truck, but it only had 24,000 miles on it.
I am using everything off the truck: 6.0l engine (360hp), 6l90e tranny with transfer case, and both differentials. CPP is supplying updating the ECU from my '05 Canyon, motor mounts, wiring harness and gas pedal...

Okay, that is it for now.

Geoff

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm certainly no expert so take advice with caution - I put a 2008 Silverado 4.8 (complete with transmission) into a 2004 i5 4x4, not running yet as I need the CP wiring harness/ECU and then exhaust. On the 4x4 side I had to get H3 oilpan, pickup tube, dipstick and exhaust manifolds. I went the route of converting fuel system to returnless by installing the corvette filter/regulator.

At first I was thinking to use my old transmission get a the bell housing and do an input shaft swap but seeing as I have never even opened up a transmission before, I just bought something that would drop in without pulling apart the transmission. All I had to exchange was the transmission extension (5 bolt vs 6 bolt) to connect the Colorado transfer case. There is room to pull/install the transmission/motor intact.

Crazy story on the Colorado transmission - on the day I backed the into into the garage to pull the motor, the transmission decided it didn't want to go into reverse so I am happy I bought the transmission now! Strange luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm certainly no expert so take advice with caution - I put a 2008 Silverado 4.8 (complete with transmission) into a 2004 i5 4x4, not running yet as I need the CP wiring harness/ECU and then exhaust. On the 4x4 side I had to get H3 oilpan, pickup tube, dipstick and exhaust manifolds. I went the route of converting fuel system to returnless by installing the corvette filter/regulator.

At first I was thinking to use my old transmission get a the bell housing and do an input shaft swap but seeing as I have never even opened up a transmission before, I just bought something that would drop in without pulling apart the transmission. All I had to exchange was the transmission extension (5 bolt vs 6 bolt) to connect the Colorado transfer case. There is room to pull/install the transmission/motor intact.

Crazy story on the Colorado transmission - on the day I backed the into into the garage to pull the motor, the transmission decided it didn't want to go into reverse so I am happy I bought the transmission now! Strange luck.
View attachment 342208
Great! Where did you get the Corvette returnless fuel adapter and how much? I need one, or I'll have to change the fuel pump in the tank to a three nipple type.

Oh, you said you used the Hummer oil pan. I've heard yes and no on that one. I been lead to believe the truck oil pan will just clear. If mine doesn't, I'll get the Hummer one. BTW, CCP has already started on my harness. I didn't know if I am going to have to relocate the alternator and air conditioning compressor, so I told CCP to just make them stock length. Did you have to relocate the two?

Geoff

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the Wix regulator unit off Rockauto for $58 CAD. I changed the fuel line to that ANS stuff which probably cost me more than the regulator. All accessories fit on the engine with no modifications so stock everything there! You may be right on the oil pan - I just ordered those parts up front but it looks like there may have been room in the end. I don't want to know now!

Do you know how to handle the electronics for the transfer case? I asked CPP and they said to reuse the old wiring for the transfer case but that looked like it was all part of the same harness as the engine. I was hoping once I got the harness it would be clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info, I'm lovin' every bit of it! On CP's website they didn't mention changing the oil pan, but they have one for sale under the Colorado parts. I was led to believe elsewhere that if the 5.3 was from a 2wd, then an oil pan is needed on the 4x4 Colorado; no idea if that's true tho. Nice clean engine packaging job you did Snowbike! I am thinking of getting my harness redone by a local guy instead of waiting to get one from Current. Is this a good idea? Do I still get all the functions the CP harness gives?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great info, I'm lovin' every bit of it! On CP's website they didn't mention changing the oil pan, but they have one for sale under the Colorado parts. I was led to believe elsewhere that if the 5.3 was from a 2wd, then an oil pan is needed on the 4x4 Colorado; no idea if that's true tho. Nice clean engine packaging job you did Snowbike! I am thinking of getting my harness redone by a local guy instead of waiting to get one from Current. Is this a good idea? Do I still get all the functions the CP harness gives?
I can jump in on this one. CCP definitely needs to include the transmission on the wiring harness. I am upgrading to a 6l90e and they want the module off the new tranny and will program the ECU and harness to work with the new transmission. I trust CCP to get the harness right-- they have done so many they know exactly what to do for your particular swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will defer to anyone on the topic of wiring/programming as I know pretty much zero. CP did just call to get the final details and they clarified that the transfer case wiring is included with the wiring harness so it should be as close to plug and play as it gets. Couple more weeks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I'm back with some more questions. I plan to go pick up a 2000 5.3 and a 2003 4l60E that I found for sale this week. Got my I5 and tranny out the other day, what a heavy beast! Anyway, I'm just curious, where is the cheapest place to get my E40 engine computer? Will my 5.3 exhaust manifolds fit? And, is there anyone that will take my 5.3 harness and rewire it rather than the pricey CP harness? And what do I need to modify on the fuel system, as far as lines and ? Oh, and my Colorado is a 2007, not 2006 like I miswrote in the first post! Thanks for your help so far!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to guess the exhaust manifolds wont fit and you will need the V8 Colorado/H3 ones or get headers. Not sure, but if both fuel systems have return lines you might come up good there with no changes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The E40 computers are getting harder to find. I did a search on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to locate one and have shipped to the house. It was cheaper than the ones on ebay.
I needed an E-67 for my swap and found a used one
The E40 computers are getting harder to find. I did a search on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to locate one and have shipped to the house. It was cheaper than the ones on ebay.
I used your link and see they give you a list of wrecking yards you can call for the ECU. I paid $89 for an E-67 on eBay.

Geoff

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good luck on the swap. I have a stock v8 w/4L60e w/4:10s. The 4:10s are great in the city or on the back roads but once you get on the highway I would like another gear so at 70 mph, I would like to see the RPMs around 2K. Right now, it's above 2300. My wife's v6 Traverse at 70 MPH is at 1700 RPM and just cruses w/9 speed auto.

I threw that out since I didn't see what gearing you were planning.

Also, now that the engine is out, might as well look at a cam, rockers, and push rods. If you want the idle to sound stock like, the Z06 or ZR1 cam is a good "cheap" replacement that would bump HP around 25, Aftermarket rockers and pushrods help strengthen the upper end of the RPM range... Oh, a higher stall converter to kick that auto up a notch...

LOL...giving away ideas for my 5.3 when I get some cash.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, I'm back with some more questions. I plan to go pick up a 2000 5.3 and a 2003 4l60E that I found for sale this week. Got my I5 and tranny out the other day, what a heavy beast! Anyway, I'm just curious, where is the cheapest place to get my E40 engine computer? Will my 5.3 exhaust manifolds fit? And, is there anyone that will take my 5.3 harness and rewire it rather than the pricey CP harness? And what do I need to modify on the fuel system, as far as lines and ? Oh, and my Colorado is a 2007, not 2006 like I miswrote in the first post! Thanks for your help so far!
as said, the E40 is getting hard to find. i was able to source one on FB market place and have the guy ship it for $200.

truck manifolds will not fit. a lot of people opt for factory colorado manifolds. i went with speed engineerings headers because i really wanted V bands. RH side fits no problem. LH side needed two small dents in the primaries. one for the steering shaft, one for the motor mount.

most guys who thin out the factory harness do so to be ran stand alone. you end up with like... 6 wires to connect to diagnostic and instrumentation. youll be stuck trying to get the ECM to talk to the BCM at that point if you want full functionality of things like the dash, cruise, etc. my preference is always a new built harness (even in a stand alone application). a 20 year old harness is a great way to learn how to track down a short or broken wire. the CPW harness takes a lot of guess work out of things, pay the extra $50 for the loom upgrade.

for fuel you need to decide what rails you are using, and how you are going to regulate pressure. return or returnless system?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts