Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont shoot me i didnt search for any info on this! was jsut an idea that passed through my head today after reading through engine swap threads.

what is all needed to upgrade from a 3.5 or 3.7 to the 5.3 V8 from the newer rados?

i noticed you had to gather a bunch of other random parts to make the LSx motors work. but shouldnt a 5.3 jsut bolt right up. with the obvious parts like the harness and computer. maybe just motor mounts from the V8 models? since its made for the 09+ years it should drop in using my logic.

and info would be nice on this topic. for me or others that have ever had this thought.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
without me having any sort of technical expertise, I am guessing it will just take a new PCM, newly fabbed motor mounts, and f course the engine/accessories.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so my logic aint far off from others. thats exactlly what i was thinking. would be cool if im right :lol: nice easy swap

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,419 Posts
Tranny is different

wiring is different

computers are different

mounts are different

Gotta swap computers and wiring harnesses. change tranny or have rebuilt and depending on your driving habits will depend on how long the rear end will hold up

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ricky.

i figured the comps, wiring harness, and mounts were different. but what tranny do they run, or any other 5.3 silvy?

does the wiring to other accessories not on the motor get change too? radio, gauges, lights etc..?

ooh i hear you on the rear end issue. good thing i dont have a lead foot. :lol:

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I thought the new 5.3L colorado's used just a different bellhousing with our 4L60E, and just the motor mounts were different. I may be wrong but I thought I read this would be fairly easy swap going the route of taking a 5.3L from a newer colorado.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
e40 ecm
new harness
engine mounts
custom a/c lines
shorten power steering lines
change bellhousing and input shaft on automatic trans.
aftermarket intake
custom exhaust
5.3 trailblazer accelerator pedal
modified ignition switch or make it push button start :shrug:
new radiator hoses
electric fan
a lot of patience and beer :lol:

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
if you run the pcm and harness from a new colorado, you shouldn't have a push button, but you will have to change clusters and gas pedal. It should be plug and play with the 2010 and on harness. This still will be a project but at least the harness will all be to size with proper connections.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
It will not be plug and play. Our engines start via a signal to the bcm. The bcm then signals fuel pump and starter. The ignition switch needs to be modified for extra wire output to crank the engine. the signal basically is jumping the solenoid then. You have no reason or need to swap out the cluster. Go out and start your truck and hold key till it starts cranking then let go and it will keep cranking till it starts or it senses a failed engine start. The 2009 and up comps are set to work with the bcm to start it. The harness would still need modifying as would other components. it isn't plug and play.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
It will not be plug and play. Our engines start via a signal to the bcm. The bcm then signals fuel pump and starter. The ignition switch needs to be modified for extra wire output to crank the engine. the signal basically is jumping the solenoid then. You have no reason or need to swap out the cluster. Go out and start your truck and hold key till it starts cranking then let go and it will keep cranking till it starts or it senses a failed engine start. The 2009 and up comps are set to work with the bcm to start it. The harness would still need modifying as would other components. it isn't plug and play.
If that was the case the new v8's would have a different BCM. From everything I have read they are the same, even if they weren't buy a 2009 and on bcm and back to plug and play. Your informations correct but that's when using a non-355 pcm, such as a TBSS.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
they may all be 355 computers but that don't mean they are all speaking the same language and all the same programming. It isn't hard to get a harness custom made and tailored to yur engine and truck. if you don't want to swap yur ignition switch make it a push button. I haven't cross referenced parts but im gonna say with a bunch of certainty that the programs are all gonna be different

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
the 04-07 engine and body computers are the same

08-10+ are different.. they dont use the same PCM and BCM
well there's our answer so you will need a BCM too.

As soon as a wrecked v8 shows up within 6 hours of me it will be on a flatbed to my house for the transplant so I will definitely post up a detaled build thread when it happens.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
08 and up rado should be plug and play swapping in a complete 5.3 LH8 engine factory H3 alpha and colorado V8 if you have the engine harness and PCM they use the newer E67 PCM infact all the 08 and up rados do so you could just reprogram it. No need for trailblazer pedal, or start button, probably get away with factory colorado V8 mounts too.

to avoid headaches and less wirring
08-11 rado E67 and 58x igniton motor 08 and up also has more room in the firewall area!

04-07 rado E40 PCM 24x igntion motor, trail blazer pedal, modifed ignition switch, modified cruise switch, reverse fuel sending wires, cut the security light, add can hi and low wires to the OBD plug if you ever want to check engine codes with a scanner, bash the f*ck out of the firewall or use a car intake, Cp mounts, and allot of wirring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also most late 07 to 10 truck motors should work, they use a E38 PCm so if you just change the harness and reprogram the 08 and up E67 PCM you should be good to go! The stock truck oil pan seems to fit fine!

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
even when the 5.3 is from a colorado or h3 you got to replace all this?

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
well there's our answer so you will need a BCM too.

As soon as a wrecked v8 shows up within 6 hours of me it will be on a flatbed to my house for the transplant so I will definitely post up a detaled build thread when it happens.
it isn't just a simple swap parts ordeal because I doubt all the new electronics sing the same tune.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
08 and up rado should be plug and play swapping in a complete 5.3 LH8 engine factory H3 alpha and colorado V8 if you have the engine harness and PCM they use the newer E67 PCM infact all the 08 and up rados do so you could just reprogram it. No need for trailblazer pedal, or start button, probably get away with factory colorado V8 mounts too.

to avoid headaches and less wirring
08-11 rado E67 and 58x igniton motor 08 and up also has more room in the firewall area!

04-07 rado E40 PCM 24x igntion motor, trail blazer pedal, modifed ignition switch, modified cruise switch, reverse fuel sending wires, cut the security light, add can hi and low wires to the OBD plug if you ever want to check engine codes with a scanner, bash the f*ck out of the firewall or use a car intake, Cp mounts, and allot of wirring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also most late 07 to 10 truck motors should work, they use a E38 PCm so if you just change the harness and reprogram the 08 and up E67 PCM you should be good to go! The stock truck oil pan seems to fit fine!
You can use any engine for the 08 and up trucks if you switch the 24x reluctor ring to a 58x reluctor ring

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
I have looked into this myself and I have contacted several shops and the best ballpark figure I got was around $12,000 - $15,000 out the door. But I would not go to a junkyard, I would do it the right way and get a brand new motor. It can be done for cheeper but when you buy a brand new engine you get a warranty with it as well!!!! spend the $$$ and do it right :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts