Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to design an exhaust that replicates the look of side exit headers. I have the 3.5-5 cylinder so I had to make a 5 tip exhaust.

The exhaust will exit on the drivers side (to avoid passenger burns), directly below the frame under the door.

I cut the stock exhaust after the second O2 sensor and welded in a flange (this way the stock exhaust can be put back on when I get sick of this one) and put a matching flange on the new exhaust and went from there.

The exhaust features a 12 inch long glass-pack muffler and stainless steel flex pipe. All tubing is 2.5 inch,16 gage mandrel bent mild steel. Don’t know how what I am going to coat this thing with but it has to be tuff enough to resist winter road salt.

Here are a few very rough photos after the initial fit up and spot welding

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not too heavy, but then again, the welding isint done yet, so well see. i plan on supporting it by welding a bracket directly to the underside of the frame, so that shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Holy Hell!!!!!! Flash back from road worrior???

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
your crazy dude!!!! props for a new idea I guess. I would like to have a side exit in front of the rear wheel but not 5 pipes. Cant wait to see it done.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
wow tom. i wonder how loud its gonna be.. let me know when u finish it so i can stop by to see it in person

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
def a creative idea man. i cant really give it a yay or nay until its actually on the truck. the work looks pretty good. hope you dont have any leaks! also two things....im wondering it if will flow evenly... and make sure you have it held up REALLY well. i hadnt had a sturdy enough exhaust system on my last vehicle and while out wheeling it decided to bend, then bend, and once i was back on a paved road rip the damn down pipe clear in half....ran that SOB open headers for a week til i got it fixed.

you dont think cops will hassle on this either? being dumped there your prob gonna have an issue with that.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I think its a really cool idea....the thing im interested in is a dyno run.....
i dont think he will see much if any gain from this honestly...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Two things:

Already done by a dude on the other forum and it didn't look good.

Don't weld a bracket between the exhaust and the frame unless you like vibration and don't care about your welds cracking. Weld on hangers and use those.

Otherwise - neat idea.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Just thinking out loud here...

Might look kinda cool coming out the back where the stock hitch would be... but still probably look waaaaaaaaay overdone. :lol:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts