Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of used 52" leaf springs from a 1979 K5 Blazer for cheap. I intend to replace my saggy stock leaf springs in my 2006 Z71 4x4 C/C Colorado. Hopefully get rid of the sag and gain a small lift. From what I have read on here, it is a direct swap. Can anyone give me any pointers before I start the job? Is it as simple as switch one for the other without anything extra?

I don't plan on doing any extra lift yet. Hopefully the K5 springs will give me what I want. I'll crank the TB's to level out. I have the H3 wheels with 265/75/16's. No rubbing but there's alot of tire in the fenders.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
think ur looking for undead if I remember right he did the swap first

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I think I was one of the first. If you'd search there's probably 10 threads on it. Their a direct replacement. You unbolt the old and bolt up the new. I'd unbolt the strings from the axle before the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did search but I only found that people thought it was a direct fit. Someone mentioned shims on the axle. Sounds like it's easy enough. I will get pics up when I am done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swap is done. I havent taken any pictures yet. The springs fit, but what a pain in the ass. I cleaned, rattle canned a can of rust stop/primer and black paint, and drilled holes in the overload for my brake cable bracket. My shackle bolts were siezed, so I had to cut the bolts out. The K5 springs have the centering bolt with the nut to the top, so I had to flip that. The centering hole in the axle was too small for the bolt head on the K5 spring centering bolt. I managed to drill the hole a little bigger and grind down the bolt head a little. I think the "new" (35 y/o springs) springs ride almost the same. No more saggy leaf springs. I didnt gain much, if any, additional lift like I had hoped for. It brought it back to stock and have a slight rake in the truck. I already have plans for the S.Maxx TB/Shackle lift, since the K5 springs alone were not enough for me.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Did you get used springs or brand new?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were used springs off of a 1979 K5 Blazer. I just bought my suspension maxx kit, front and rear, for $200. That will get me where I want to be.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
If you'd got brand new ones I don't think you wouldn't of needed the shackle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts