·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Taking the most of the engine > 6 spd
Reliability, repair cost, spare parts availability > 4L80E

·
Registered
681 Posts
To bad our trucks dont have as many gears as the bmw's have good lord those gears keep going haha love the mpg!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I get the 6 speed transmission would I have to relocate the crossmember?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Look into True Blue Motor Sports website: True Blue Motorsport

I was really close to pulling the trigger -- turns out I would have paid the same vs. the two transmissions I ended up having to get (still waiting for the Attorney General to review my case to get money back).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which ones did you get?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would install a 4L70E. I don't like the gear ratios of the 4L80E.

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
486 Posts
Look into True Blue Motor Sports website: True Blue Motorsport

I was really close to pulling the trigger -- turns out I would have paid the same vs. the two transmissions I ended up having to get (still waiting for the Attorney General to review my case to get money back).
Man, that'd be nice.

Once my warranty expires, I'm going to look into something like this. Has anyone tried to put a stick behind the 5.3 on a 4x4? That might be interesting as well.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
why not a built 4l60e? smaller/lighter and the there's corvettes in the 9's and 10's running them.

also yes you'd have to relocate the crossmember on the 6l80e and the 4l80, the 4l70e could possibly fit but more than likely you'd have to relocate.

Contact these guy's:http://www.currentperformance.com/

They were the first and only company to put a 6l80e in a colorado. They had it 100% but the owner of the truck wanted a 4l80e.

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
486 Posts
Better gearing in the 6-speed, it keeps the engine in it's power band better and has 2 overdrives for highway mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
why not a built 4l60e? smaller/lighter and the there's corvettes in the 9's and 10's running them.

also yes you'd have to relocate the crossmember on the 6l80e and the 4l80, the 4l70e could possibly fit but more than likely you'd have to relocate.

Contact these guy's:Current Performance Wiring LT1, LT4, LS1, LS2, LS7 Engine Wiring Systems

They were the first and only company to put a 6l80e in a colorado. They had it 100% but the owner of the truck wanted a 4l80e.
The 4L70e has the same exterior case as the 4L60/65. I tried to get the dealership to install one of these but they would have had to swap the output shaft I believe... needless to say the assholes at Lithia Chevrolet of South Anchorage are a worthless pile of shit & kept on telling me a 4L70e wouldn't fit. If they had bothered to do a 5min google search (other than listening to me), they would have seen I was right.

4L70e just has beefed up internals, beefier over the 65. I believe this was in the Vortec Max Silverados?

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
awesome a built 4l60e though can hold gobs of power, i dont see the point in spending t&d on anything else. except for a 6l80e which would be awesome for the 2 extra gears.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
Better gearing in the 6-speed, it keeps the engine in it's power band better and has 2 overdrives for highway mileage.
but also for high hp applications nobody really has a grasp on them. the 60 and the 80e are obvious choices for them. Course if your going all out more than likely a 80e would be the best choice.

But honestly I have significant amount more of power and torque than GM intended. I've had 0 issues with my stock trans.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
the 4L80E weighs more than a 4L60E, has a diff gear ratios, and sucks up more HP.
a good rebuilt 4L60E or a 4L70E is the way to go. neat and easy.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
As far as ease, I would go with a 65/70. Cool factor, I would go 6L80e.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
Says 600hp realistically. There's 1400hp+ 4l60e. A stock 6l80e could definitely handle our truck even in a modified form. Hence why I said if your going for power stick to the 60 or 80. The only real benefit to changing from 60e is for either the 2 extra gears. Or going the 80e for a balls out application

1 - 20 of 32 Posts