Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived with the new Colorado (Z71, 4X4 LB) for almost two months now and have firmed up some thoughts about the experience. Just one man's opinions:
The Good--
1. Absolutely love the handling, braking and steering effort.
2. Acceleration is better than I anticipated from a truck of this size with a small V6.
3. Tracks stable and true on the highway.
4. Tows my stock trailer (even loaded) very well and the tow/haul mode is much better than the traditional overdrive lockout.
5. Seats are incredibly comfortable for me.
6. EZ-open tailgate and step bumper are great features.
7. The styling is growing on me, and I get many compliments.
8. Fuel economy is 2-3 mpg better than my 2012 Frontier 4.0 V6.
The Bad--
1. The MyLink system isn't terribly intuitive; I still fumble through it.
2. I can do without the cheesy carbon-fiber inserts in the cabin.
3. Engine idle sounds like a diesel.
The Ugly--
1. No Homelink available? Boo.
2. Storage space in door panels is useless.
3. Poor ergonomics in certain areas (4WD selector knob placement, location of cruise indicator light)

Don't let the negatives fool you; these are just minor inconveniences to me when I consider the incredible positives. I've owned many trucks in my 65 years on the planet, and this one is the best of the bunch by a long shot.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Thanks for the review...I'm still not sold on the looks yet either, but I'm eager to see what the aftermarket options will be to change that up.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Those trucks seriously need aftermarket bumpers...I think that with the 6" lift kit and 35's around 18's or 20's would be one nasty looking truck.

Thanks for the review! I'm seriously thinking about one after the diesels come out.

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
^^ You and me both.

And looking at the front end, it wouldn't be difficult to build a good looking bumper out of steel for these things. Granted, it would require being able to weld, and a lot of curves, but changing that and the rear bumper out for some bedlined bumpers would be pretty awesome.

Hell, there's one guy right now that did 2.5" lift on the front and says he is going to be able to fit 35s? (doubtful but we'll see)

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
^^ You and me both.

And looking at the front end, it wouldn't be difficult to build a good looking bumper out of steel for these things. Granted, it would require being able to weld, and a lot of curves, but changing that and the rear bumper out for some bedlined bumpers would be pretty awesome.

Hell, there's one guy right now that did 2.5" lift on the front and says he is going to be able to fit 35s? (doubtful but we'll see)
The curves wouldn't be bad...you would just get those laser/plasma cut.

I really need easy access to a plasma table again lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good review. Helped me!

Went looking this past weekend. My current 2011 needs more money put into it than what I still owe on it so figured it might be time.

I laughed at the door storage comment. Thats nothing new, my 2011 Z71 door storage areas are useless. Use them to put garbage in.

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
Great review @Reverendbiker. Me personally ( for the record I own a 1st gen) I absolutely hate the Colorado's looks. The Canyon's just look better to me, more beefier, sharper corners. And yes the door storage is a joke, the 1st gen's suck too.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Door pockets normally just end up being junk or trash storage :shrug:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
deleted

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I bought mine today !!!
I got the LT 2WD ext. Cab in Ice Silver Metallic
It has the V6 & 6 speed auto. G80 locker
Can't answer why yours sounds like a diesel..??
Mine can barely be heard standing in front of it with the hood open... Not even fan noise with the auto electronic fan... So smooth idling... It would not spill your full cup of coffee to set it on the engine cover...
Only got to put bout 100 miles on it today but already in love with driving it !!
The steering and brakes makes it feel like it doesn't weigh a 100 lbs. !!! I love my 355... But I feel this will by far be my favorite vehicle I own... No doubt !!!
Planning a good test drive tomorrow... I will post my review and pics then...
From first impressions... Truck of the year is correctly placed with the new Colorado !!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I bought mine today !!!

Mine can barely be heard standing in front of it with the hood open... Not even fan noise with the auto electronic fan... So smooth idling... It would not spill your full cup of coffee to set it on the engine cover...

Only got to put bout 100 miles on it today but already in love with driving it !!

The steering and brakes makes it feel like it doesn't weigh a 100 lbs. !!! I love my 355... But I feel this will by far be my favorite vehicle I own... No doubt !!!

From first impressions... Truck of the year is correctly placed with the new Colorado !!!

Congrats on the truck Tweek. I can't wait to see it and what you come up with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
I bought mine today !!!
I got mine today too and i love it

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Congrats on the truck Tweek. I can't wait to see it and what you come up with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks Brian !!!
I don't have any immediate plans for it yet.... But will not be able to keep it "bone" stock for long....LMFAO.:salute:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Not an owner, but after combing through one at an auto show recently I'd have to say it's a sweet ride. Kudos to GM for the comeback, similar to HD's return of their Road Glide touring bike. Love the looks of these new trucks and, like most, have to agree on the low stance of their rubber bumper moldings (1st thing I'd pitch). Congrats to all our members for taking the plunge to ownership...making me thinking twice about hitting the dealer. =8^)

·
Texas Yoda!!!!
36,262 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i was parking at the club and this dick head on a black z71 parked next to me, made me feel so bad hahaaha, he looked down on me like, cute....
very nice looking trucks in person, waiting on the xtreme....
I have the feeling that is going to be a loooooooooooong wait

·
Registered
994 Posts
Me? I want a 1978 Ford F1 Fiddy... :th_lurkingrr:

Nice trucks, but I don't want another payment, ever. Just paid off my 2008 Canyon last month in fact... (still waiting on title.. need to get on that).

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Me? I want a 1978 Ford F1 Fiddy... :th_lurkingrr:

Nice trucks, but I don't want another payment, ever. Just paid off my 2008 Canyon last month in fact... (still waiting on title.. need to get on that).
I´m on the same boat, finished my 2012 two weeks ago, the title arrived past friday, don´t want to get the bank behind my ass for the next years to come. If everything goes well, I´ll be getting my next truck in cash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts