Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

6L80e to Colorado T-Case Adapter

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  DrTerrible 
#1 ·
I’m making a transfer case adapter to install a 6L80e into my truck and use the stock T-150 transfer case. TBMS not responding to RFQ’s. Few others have made their own. If anybody else wants one, I can make additional. CNC’d from 6061. I am 3D printing end flanges now for test fit.
Technical drawing Text Diagram Drawing Line
Technical drawing Drawing Diagram Schematic Engineering

Cable management Wire Electrical wiring Technology Machine

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, several have done it and all did the same thing. The output shaft of the 6L80e is a larger diameter 32 spline shaft. The output of the 4L60e is a smaller diameter shaft of 27 splines. It is simply a matter of sending the 6L80e output shaft to a machine shop which splines to have it turned down and re-cut. It has a clutch drum / basket laser welded to it

The 6L80e requires disassembly to get this piece out, but it is a pretty simple trans to take apart being there are no bands inside. It has went well for numerous first timers. A few sub-assemblies of shafts with clutch packs contained, a large snap ring in the center, and a few planetary gear sets, and it is out. $80 puts all new GM clutch plates back in if you want while it is apart. There are a few other TSB's and upgrades that can be done while it is apart.

I have not heard of any failures of doing so yet. I'm trying now to research any re-hardening options for it. I'll have a stock 430hp LS3 6.2L in front of it, but, being in a Colorado, should have limited traction, so as long as I am not doing 4x4 full throttle dry pavement launches, it should be OK? Stay tuned...

#9 · (Edited)
Slow but going forward. T case side flange CNC done, trans side supposed to finish this weekend. Ordered hardened mounting studs/nuts, as well as the 5" OD joiner tube. The ID of this flange pilots exactly onto the transfer case pilot ring @ approx. 4.90" diameter. The joiner tube (3/4" wall thickness) is also this same diameter, carried all the way over to the trans side flange. All 3 pieces are 6061. Flanges are 3/4" thick each.

#12 ·
Moving forward. Got both CNC flanges back, and they fit like a glove onto both the 6L80 rear trans face and T-150 transfer case. I've added hardened studs with locking flange nuts to both sides. Next up is to cut the joiner tube to length and turn down its OD from 5.0" to 4.9" for a slip fit into both flange ID's.

#14 ·
Thanks. Sorry this is going kind of slow. Tearing the 6L80 apart next to extract the output shaft and have it turned down and re-splined. Then put trans back together with new clutch plates and a few of the updates that have come out for it. Will post more pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.