Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing all the door speakers and an old/new Alpine MRV-F450 amp I'm ready to use that 5th channel so been looking at boxes and subs. Below is the link on the box that fits 2 8" subs that seems to be the best value. He is also selling just the box and not the subs if chosen.

Chevy Colorado GMC Canyon Crew Cab Box 2 8 Kicker Subs | eBay

Also debating between the typical Kicker Comp RT 8" or the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 as it is a better value for the money.

Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 Shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

I'm being lazy and not wanting to build a box lol Also I've never listened to an 8" sub before so if anyone has feedback on whether or not they sound like a wimpy door speaker let me know!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have 2 8" kicker cvt's, love the sound of them. Traded a buddy something for the 2 boxes I use, would have to get a pic if them thougb, because I done know much about the Boxes

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a pair of Pioneer 8's in both of my S10's. It's what I'm going to eventually put in my 355 too.

They really fill out the low end that the door speakers can't handle. I was often asked if I had 10's or 12's behind the seats. They weren't as loud as any 10's or 12's that I've heard, especially not in a small sealed box, but they did sound great.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I built my own box after researching a lot of under seat boxes for the crew cab. It takes 2 10"rockford shallow subs. sounds really good.

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
First, I checked to see if 355nation member Cherry, was still building his boxes, but I didn't see his add in the classifieds.
So I went to e-bay and found the same box. I am not an expert and wanted as close to plug and play as it gets, so I bought this.

I will be getting it in this coming week. I am replacing the door speakers as well.
One thing I like about this box is it sits entirely under the rear seat using a color match carpet. I will also try to use the trucks original speaker grilles as to make it as stealthy as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I sell a lot of the Kenwood flat subs as well as the Rockford P3s's. In my opinion I'd go that rout. Lot more bang for your buck

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
I sell a lot of the Kenwood flat subs as well as the Rockford P3s's. In my opinion I'd go that rout. Lot more bang for your buck
I looked to see if I saw any boxes being sold by 355 members and I didn't see any that are currently offered, so I went to ebay and looked for a box for chevy colorado crew cab. Once I found the box, I having no depth of knowledge in regards to car audio, so I bought the whole kit and kaboodle. The system has the amp, the two sub 8"s, the wiring along with the finished box. For me, easier is better.
I could only take your word for it, that the Kenwoods offer more bang for the buck, but I am not looking to win any competitions with the stereo and the sound will be a million times better than the worn out OEM speakers I have now.

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
I got back from checking trail cams and I found a box on my front porch.
Top view. (Down firing box)

Bottom view

Front View. Jacks are on other side/backside

I ordered it in tan and then realized that I have charcoal carpet in my truck. My seats are tan, but there are seatcovers on them. OH'well. The box is less than 10" front to back, so it won't be that visible anyways.
The amp is as pictured above. I'll have it all hooked up tomorrow.

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
It seems that the elevated areas over the speakers are a recent design change. Or at least, the pics he uses in his adds does not have that elevated area over the Speakers.
It adds space so I am sure that is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I love that Alpine amp. Used to have a 450W Alpine in HS that looked alot like that one. Would blow everyone's "1000W" 15" walmart subs out of the water :lmao:

I also had a 1200W Kenwood in a custom ported box that took up the entire backseat of an extended cab S10, so I had some sort of advantage you might say :lmao:

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
Now, I am really frustrated. My installer said it didn't fit. The box maker says he has sold over 300 of these boxes for Colorado/Canyon trucks and he has never had a fit issue before. Now I do not know what to do. If this box doesn't fit, is there no option for under the seat of my truck?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Did you try using spacers where the seat bolts down? Where did It not fit?
It is odd it has those elevated areas. Mine doesn't have that.

·
Don't like Crowds!
488 Posts
Did you try using spacers where the seat bolts down? Where did It not fit?
It is odd it has those elevated areas. Mine doesn't have that.
The seat can't be space upward because the the latch behind the seat to hold the seatback has to line up.

I am going back to my installer and ask him exactly where on the box does the seat's bar makes contact on the box. I am thinking, it may be possible/necessary to modify the box somehow. The box is here and I do not want to send it back, so I may need to go to some sort of extreme measures to get it it to work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts