Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a thread here when researching buying my truck (a couple years ago) about turning off Stabilitrak / Stability Control. I understand you hold the button down and wait for it to say it is off.

Thing is it only kind of, turns it off. The dash says it is off, but I can still feel it. When I go play around in the snow (drifting, donuts etc), I have it off but it still functions on a lower level. That is super annoying, and even damaging the truck. After even a small amount of playing around, my brakes get crazy hot! I can smell them when I pull in the garage.

I would imagine I can pull the right fuse to defeat it all together. Thing is I want to keep the ABS functioning. It would also be a PITA to pull a fuse in the cold weather every time I don't want the intervention. I would also like to avoid idiot lights, or worse yet, limp home mode activating.

Ideally, I would like to install a toggle switch that truly turns the system off. I want it to be back on in the event someone else drives the truck (or I am not on a "closed course" - LOL).

I know there is a ton of knowledge on this forum. Please, help me out.

This annoyance is mainly in the snow, which I know not everyone has to deal with. However, I find it very irritating in the rain also. I cannot be the only one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is my guess, that brakes are used in traction control.

I can tell you with 100% certainty the brakes are actively used in the stability control.

It brakes individual wheels to correct any sliding.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Brakes are not used for traction control.
Gonna check if there is anything that can be changed in the pcm for stability control...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought the brakes were part of the TC as well... The sound my TC makes when it kicks in is the same as the ABS. Kind of a "Bzzzz" sound, lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you spin the tires on the snow, the rear end steps out. As soon as that happens the Stability System applies brakes to correct.

The two work hand in hand.

All good for normal driving. However, overly intrusive in the snow for someone who knows what they are doing.

I hope this is an easily solvable problem, as I am considering buying another vehicle just to have a better snow driving experience...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts exactly... I turn mine off every time I get in the truck, it's dangerous for anything but highway driving.

If you're trying to clear an intersection or turn out from a side street to enter traffic and you spin tires the truck falls flat on its face and sits there dead for a few good seconds... Not a fun feeling.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
I tend to think the stability system does quite well with snow and ice, enough so that I rarely turn it off. If you're trying to power slide, yea it sucks, but if your turning onto the highway and you start to fishtail, it keeps the truck from sliding sideways by not applying more power to the wheels. In fact it catches this type of slide sooner than I notice it.

Even if you're stuck, the key to getting out is not excessive wheel spin. It takes a lot of practice, but the guys who are the best driving on the snow are the ones not spinning around wildly, but those giving just enough power to keep forward momentum.

With that said, turning TC off has always resulted in it feeling off on me. I'll play around with this on the way home tomorrow and give you my take on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
Brakes are not used for traction control.
Gonna check if there is anything that can be changed in the pcm for stability control...
yes it does

my wifes g8 uses the same PCM as the v8 trucks and when you pitch it sideways. you can hear the ABS going crazy without your foot even on the peddle. works really well.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Well if all the issues are the abs run a switch in place of the fuse so that it completes the circuit with the proper fuse only when the switch is on and mount it somewhere under the dash. Then you could flip it on and off as you please.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if all the issues are the abs run a switch in place of the fuse so that it completes the circuit with the proper fuse only when the switch is on and mount it somewhere under the dash. Then you could flip it on and off as you please.
I get that. But ideally, I would like to keep ABS and lose stability control and traction control.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I get that. But ideally, I would like to keep ABS and lose stability control and traction control.
How do you have fun with abs on? I yanked the fuse because of a bad speed sensor. I keep plenty of distance in between the cars in front of me. Never had a problem stopping. If my tires lock, they have enough traction to stop me quickly. I thought you knew what your doing, so why do you need abs for fun?

·
Registered
245 Posts
yes it does

my wifes g8 uses the same PCM as the v8 trucks and when you pitch it sideways. you can hear the ABS going crazy without your foot even on the peddle. works really well.
Brakes are not used for TC. If your ABS is kicking in, it is stability control.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Anyway you could turn it off-off through hptuners?
Traction control (TC) uses spark retard, fuel cutoff, and electronic throttle control (ETC) to control traction. You can disable any or all of these to eliminate TC or just smooth its engagement. I disabled the ETC and fuel cutoff and now my truck doesn't fall on its face when TC kicks in. Works "just enough" now.
There is nothing in the ECM or TCM for controlling stability control, so it must be in the BCM. Which makes sense since that is where ABS is controlled also. Nothing in the BCM can be modified with HPTuners unfortunately.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you have fun with abs on? I yanked the fuse because of a bad speed sensor. I keep plenty of distance in between the cars in front of me. Never had a problem stopping. If my tires lock, they have enough traction to stop me quickly. I thought you knew what your doing, so why do you need abs for fun?
I waited on responding because I was honestly offended by the last little jab there. Let me try to defend my position...

My last two vehicles before the Colorado where Jeep Wrangles. Neither had ABS (much less stability control), both were awesome in the snow (even in 2wd). The reason was they had awesome tires and great weigh balance.

I've also managed not to ditch the variety of RWD cars and trucks without good tires or electronic AIDS over the years.

My Colorado on the other hand, has some stock Goodyear Eagles that are not exactly the best snow tires.

As to my lack of driving skill... I drive for a living, have completed multiple high performance driving schools, done some hard core off roading, 3 high speed autocross championships under my belt, and have been driving in the snow now for 18 years. So I like to think I have a handle there. But, you know, I'm sure you could show me a thing or two... especially with all the snow driving you do in OK...

My point is not to prove how cool I am on the internet, but hope some others take me seriously when I say you cannot have to much brake performance. Even if ABS only buys you a foot or two, that could mean a lot in an unexpected situation. Even for a seasoned driver.

The only place I would not want ABS is off road. Thats why Jeeps ABS turns off under a certain speed. No need for it then, and you may need to lock the tires in off road situations.

Anyway, rant over.

Back on topic.

I wonder how one could disable only the Stability portion of the BCM, and keep the ABS.

Sounds like a great new Supermod product!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I waited on responding because I was honestly offended by the last little jab there. Let me try to defend my position...

My last two vehicles before the Colorado where Jeep Wrangles. Neither had ABS (much less stability control), both were awesome in the snow (even in 2wd). The reason was they had awesome tires and great weigh balance.

I've also managed not to ditch the variety of RWD cars and trucks without good tires or electronic AIDS over the years.

My Colorado on the other hand, has some stock Goodyear Eagles that are not exactly the best snow tires.

As to my lack of driving skill... I drive for a living, have completed multiple high performance driving schools, done some hard core off roading, 3 high speed autocross championships under my belt, and have been driving in the snow now for 18 years. So I like to think I have a handle there. But, you know, I'm sure you could show me a thing or two... especially with all the snow driving you do in OK...

My point is not to prove how cool I am on the internet, but hope some others take me seriously when I say you cannot have to much brake performance. Even if ABS only buys you a foot or two, that could mean a lot in an unexpected situation. Even for a seasoned driver.

The only place I would not want ABS is off road. Thats why Jeeps ABS turns off under a certain speed. No need for it then, and you may need to lock the tires in off road situations.

Anyway, rant over.

Back on topic.

I wonder how one could disable only the Stability portion of the BCM, and keep the ABS.

Sounds like a great new Supermod product!
Love the response. I live in New England and feel exactly as you do. Low speed driving in adverse conditions w these v8 trucks is waaaaaay over compensated for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still really wanting to do this. Where are our wiring gurus and service techs?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My apologies for allowing this to get side tracked.

My hope was maybe a service tech or someone with more experience than I could look at a wiring diagram and figure out if a specific BCM wire could be grounded, or the ground could be interrupted by a switch to disable this system.

Anybody have the needed wiring diagram?

This seems like a do-able project.

·
Registered
173 Posts
. . . I would imagine I can pull the right fuse to defeat it all together. Thing is I want to keep the ABS functioning. It would also be a PITA to pull a fuse in the cold weather every time I don't want the intervention. I would also like to avoid idiot lights, or worse yet, limp home mode activating. . .
If it were just a matter of the fuse, you could do a simple modification of the fusebox and run a switch to that particular fuse . . . but that wouldn't take care of the idiot light, nor the risk of a "limp home" mode being activated. Hopefully someone smarter than me with the truck's electronics will come up with a balanced solution. I'd be interested to see it.

You would think, as computerized as these vehicles are, there would be easier ways of doing modifications. But then this is the same truck that has the 4X4 control module that can't get wet located under the driver's front seat . . . ??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts