Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for anyone that has done this mod, Have you ever had your evaporator freeze up from the compressor running too long? I could see if the blower speed was on low or so on a very humid day that it may become a problem?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Which mod are you referring to. The resistor module circuit has nothing to do with the temperature of the evaporator. There is an evaporator temperature sensor that is supposed to inhibit the operation of the compressor if the temperature of the evaporator drops to 32°F. In spite of that, the evaporator is subject to freezing up if the temp and humidity are high and the system is operated for an extended period of time in the "Recirc" mode.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have clarified it is the evaporator temp sensor circuit. I know in certain parts of the country the climate differs and some can get away with higher and lower resistors due to the humidity difference. I was thinking of trying different resistors to get my evap temp down to around 37 or close so as not to rish freezing of the core itself. Yes all the resistor does is fool the circuit into thinking the evaporator is warmer than it really is so that the compressor runs longer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were averaging temps in the low to mid 90s here in east tn and the humidity is around 80% today. Im not having any cooling problems but i like the idea of maximizing my cooling capability

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The A/C evap resistor mod sounds completely stupid because soldering a 180K-ohm resistor across the thermistor wires would make the compressor run constantly and the evaporator would eventually freeze up.

Did you get this info from this site? Chevy Colorado A/C Evap Sensor Mod – freemansgarage.com
Yup thats the one. Although I thought if you added more/less resistance you could essentially dial in the efficiency of your system to your area. I guess it did sound too good to be true and freezing was always in my mind and I def dont want that to happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the question still stands cause I would like to know. Is there a magic number of resistance that would give me an evap core temp close to 38 or so degrees and still allow the compressor to cycle off if/when it ever dropped below the 38?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to pickup a long shanked thermometer on my way home to monitor the outlet temp at my center dash vents to see what an "average" temp is to see if this really would even help. Im just curious with this subject and admit to being a tinker junkie. its the little things lol.

·
Internet Troll
1,252 Posts
I've had my A/C freeze once about 3 years ago running to Missouri (to mow the grass at the house were were selling after the relocation fiasco). Once it thawed out, I haven't had trouble with it since.

I was running down the interstate at highway speeds with it on recirc as it was a hot and humid day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So for anyone that has done this mod, Have you ever had your evaporator freeze up from the compressor running too long? I could see if the blower speed was on low or so on a very humid day that it may become a problem?
Old thread, but it might help others...

I soldered in a 160K Ohm resistor into my AC this past weekend. It definitely seems to get to a colder temperature.

However, when driving earlier I noticed the air stopped coming out of the vents completely. I could hear the fan running still... bumped up the fan speed, it got louder but no air from vents still. I assumed the evap froze up (lots of humidity here). I turned off the ac, set it at mid temp and mix between vents and foot ducts. After about 10 minutes, I started getting airflow out the vents again.

So, it definitely helps it get colder, but in my case, it was too cold and froze it to where it no longer worked.

I'll be clipping out that resistor soon. Fun experiment... only wasted a few cents on the resistor and a little time playing w/ soldering iron.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts