Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how much of load its to have on the engine when its on? reason is whenever i have the A/C on its really notice on the power loss from stop to start at lights and stop signs. i would have to give less clutch and more gas to get it going. secondly, this only happends when the A/C is on but when i push the clutch in and go to a stop, the RPMS will drop say around 500ishh and it will shudder and the engine will catch its self. still blows cold air though.

ODO is at 120k. 3rd owner of little red.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sounds normal to me. That's why A/C causes fuel efficiency drops, takes more power to run it.

Because of the load, your idle isn't correcting quickly enough.

This may be the beginnings of the symptom you get with a dirty throttle body. Just showing itself now with the load demand.

If your throttle hasn't been removed and cleaned in a while, maybe start with that and see if it correct yours low RPM condition.

Nothing you can do about power loss with A/C on though.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alrighty, i just want to make sure with you guys.thought it may be the compressor starting to fail. i'll check the TB this weekend. El Paso heat sucks

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Today is second day of 115 +/-. I'm not in El Paso......

Lucky you vehicles are equipped with A/C as standard. I didn't have air when I started driving. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn man, the heat is no joke. 106 here, pretty amazed he truck can stay cooled with AC running in those temps

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Keep an eye on the temp. It can only maintain for so long. Especially in stop/go traffic.

I hit 212 on Monday. And I had only driven no longer than 15 minutes, so not a lot of time for heat to build up and stay trapped.

Also when the truck gets hot, the cooling fan is more engaged which causes more drag. Hi A/C demands and a locked up cooling fan is a horsepower rob.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ordered the Efan from supermod here so i'll be installing that this weekend. also have JTR headers &wrapped which really shows nice temp. controll underhood

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
i ordered the Efan from supermod here so i'll be installing that this weekend. also have JTR headers &wrapped which really shows nice temp. controll underhood
The efan will greatly help maintain A/C effectiveness overall.
At low vehicle speeds and especially when idling the efan maintains much better airflow across the A/C condenser.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't know if it's helpful or not but my driving habit for 25+ years has been:
When stopped, leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you. I feel it gives better airflow, in addition it's not sucking air right from the vehicle in front of you. Also I put it in neutral to reduce the engine load while sitting in drive. If I have time, and it's really hot I can increase the RPM slightly to 1) increase coolant flow and 2) draw more air in as the RPM increases the fan speed. Too much RPM just adds heat, so I don't really increase too much. Maybe to about 1,000-1,200.

Does it help? Who the heck knows! But I've done it for a long time and it's just part of my driving habits now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if it's helpful or not but my driving habit for 25+ years has been:
When stopped, leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you. I feel it gives better airflow, in addition it's not sucking air right from the vehicle in front of you. Also I put it in neutral to reduce the engine load while sitting in drive. If I have time, and it's really hot I can increase the RPM slightly to 1) increase coolant flow and 2) draw more air in as the RPM increases the fan speed. Too much RPM just adds heat, so I don't really increase too much. Maybe to about 1,000-1,200.

Does it help? Who the heck knows! But I've done it for a long time and it's just part of my driving habits now.
i drive a stick so its always in neutral in stops. but i've had to do that a couple of times where i have to bring the RPMS a little to get it cooler but its a good tip for those who dont know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts