Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 05 crew cab ZQ8 and Im looking to lowering it 2/2. I bought the Belltech kit with 2" ball joints and the 2" blocks, couldn't really pass it up for $267 shipped. My questions are. Will there be any problem getting a good alignment or do I need to buy like a camber kit or anything else? At what point do I need to do a notch in the back? Also at what point do I need to worry about the getting the pinion angle shims? I've also ordered the JTR crossmember so that will be taken care of also. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe you need a notch for anything over a 3 or 4 drop in the back or trim the bumpstop alignment shouldn't be a problem, I've got a 4/5 and my alignment is maxed on the front

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
I believe you need a notch for anything over a 3 or 4 drop in the back or trim the bumpstop alignment shouldn't be a problem, I've got a 4/5 and my alignment is maxed on the front
This.

A two inch drop won't NEED a notch, just remove or trim the bumpstop. Not sure if pinion shims are needed at 2" but it probably wouldn't hurt. As far as alignment, just find a good shop that has a rack that you will be able to get it on. I went to a Firestone shop where their rack is almost flush with the floor. And you will love that crossmember, it's money well spent

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
If its a ZQ8, you will need a notch in the back with 2" blocks if you plan to have a comfortable ride, tow, or have people in the back. I had the ball joints and for the life of me I couldn't get it to stay aligned. I would drive it a few hundred miles after the alignment and it would start going out of whack, but that was because I was having a shitty shop do it for "cheap". I ended up getting QA1 coilovers after that and never looked back. I learned later on that the spacers on the top control arm were not put on correctly on one side, making it lop sided, that's what I get for having a shop do it instead of doing it myself. Just make sure you install them correctly and you will be fine. When it comes to alignment you won't have any issues. Lopro crossmember is also a good idea.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
If you're using lowering ball joints & blocks it shouldn't affect the alignment specs significantly as the suspension geometry will be the same.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I dropped my zq8 in the back with 2" blocks and did not like the ride at all. Hit the frame a lot even without load. Machined the blocks down to 1.5" and it was much butter.

·
Registered
504 Posts
with the 2" ball joints and 2" blocks you are going to be at 3/3 drop.i had mine dropped with 2" drop shocks and 3" jtr blocks. for a 3/4 no notch and it alignment was good.
3/4 with air shocks.

a front shot cause it looked good.

lowered on titan wheels.

stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with the 2" ball joints and 2" blocks you are going to be at 3/3 drop.i had mine dropped with 2" drop shocks and 3" jtr blocks. for a 3/4 no notch and it alignment was good.
3/4 with air shocks.

a front shot cause it looked good.

lowered on titan wheels.

stock.
That's exactly what I needed to know. And your truck looks like exactly what I'm going for so that's good to see. I would have gone with the 3" blocks in the back but I wanted to compensate for the sandbags in the back through the winter and the weight of my work tools the rest of the year to get me that other inch of drop in the back to even it out. I may even go to air shocks in the back to help out. Great looking truck though.

Victor

·
Registered
504 Posts
yea it was, no longer have it. i got tired of a small truck with a 5 speed. now i have a 1999 gmc sierra 1500. but thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts